Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imported Camper - Next Step

Options
  • 06-05-2021 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

Import - Done
    VRT - Done
    CVRT - Done

Next up is tax

Tried to do it online (Reg No and last 6 digits of Chasis No), it comes up as over 1000 Euro

Emailed them (twice) and as its the first time, has to be done at local office.

So need 2 forms FR100 and Camper Declaration, import receipt and also have to get it weighed at the weighbridge? The last part I questioned? as the weight is on the CVRT.. but I was told I have to do it? Is this correct?

Thanks in advanace.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Have you got the new Certificate of Registration?
    At (J) EU Vehicle Category is it listed as M1
    At (J.2) Motor Taxation Class is it listed as Motor Caravan
    If not you need that corrected first, the fact that you paid Motor Caravan VRT means it is now legally a Motor Caravan and should qualify for the Motor Caravan Motor Tax rate.

The weight thing is a throwback to an old system that determined the VRT category and is no longer relevant. The weight that was required was the actual unladen weight, not the GVW listed on the Registration certificate or the one on the CVRT disc, which should be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

niloc1951 wrote: »
    Have you got the new Certificate of Registration?
    At (J) EU Vehicle Category is it listed as M1
    At (J.2) Motor Taxation Class is it listed as Motor Caravan
    If not you need that corrected first, the fact that you paid Motor Caravan VRT means it is now legally a Motor Caravan and should qualify for the Motor Caravan Motor Tax rate.

The weight thing is a throwback to an old system that determined the VRT category and is no longer relevant. The weight that was required was the actual unladen weight, not the GVW listed on the Registration certificate or the one on the CVRT disc, which should be the same.

We imported a work van last year from UK. It was an inter company transfer so no VRT or import duty, just a fixed fee. However we still had to weigh it. It was only an Opel Combo light commercial. Same thing. Had all the paperwork sorted but the person in the tax office in Queen St insisted on me weighing it.

If you do need to get it done and you are in Dublin, Colas in Bluebell do it for about 30 euro..

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭bob2oo7

I'm in Louth and there are only a few ones approved by the county council. On the Vehicle Registration Certificate, I didn't receive this yet? I was told I only get this after the Van gets taxed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭niloc1951

bob2oo7 wrote: »
    I'm in Louth and there are only a few ones approved by the county council. On the Vehicle Registration Certificate, I didn't receive this yet? I was told I only get this after the Van gets taxed?

Did it go through the VRT process as a motor caravan, did you have to pay 13.5% of the Open Market Selling Price.

The Motor Tax amount they are asking for looks like it's based on engine size so it's not coming up on their system as a Motor Caravan. Maybe it's coming up as a commercial vehicle and that's why they want it weighed.

the weight of a Motor Caravan has nothing to do with the motor tax rate, they are all the same from small VW camper vans ones to massive American RV's

Advertisement