Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stove installation damage - what next

Options
  • 06-05-2021 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭

So I had a builder install an insert stove for me a while back. I paid the heat merchants by card over the phone and the builder collected and fitted it.

After examining it, the surface looked marked but I put it down to dust from carrying in. I assumed it would clean off but marks are dried into matt surface. The builder assured me it would clean up and proceeded to install back panel and mantlepiece. They rubbed at the marks and the coating is now down to bare steel.
    Builder has left me to negotiate with manufacturer through the heat merchants but they don't want to take responsibility.
    I hadn't laid a finger on the stove since paying for it but the surface is terrible now. I believe the stove surface is not up to standard (can't wipe or clean it) but the builder is at fault for proceeding when they damaged it from handling.

Any ideas how to proceed with this one.? Builder is pushing for payment and manufacturer is saying we used steel wool to clean it and walked away from it..?????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Builder would push for payment. Once they're paid it becomes your problem. I wouldn't consider the job complete until any defects or damage have been repaired to your satisfaction.

How to proceed depends on whether the problem can be fixed in situ or whether the stove will have to be removed and either repaired or replaced. Either way if the builder has damaged the finish on the stove it's their responsibility to put it right.

If they don't engage, it could possibly cost more to remove and replace the stove than the original job. I wouldn't part with any money until the job is done properly.

Advertisement