Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st overnight

Options
  • 05-05-2021 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭

Hey all, the father in law recently bought his first motorhome.

Luckily he has also given me the keys, were planning on taking it this weekend somewhere in Clare by a beach. Before anyone asks we live in Clare.

Where would be a nice safe spot to park up for the night.

Our kids are super excited to sleep in it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Lahinch or Spanish Point

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Lahinch or Spanish Point

where would a high roof van park in spanish pt, isn't there barriers at the beach car park?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Cheensbo wrote: »
    where would a high roof van park in spanish pt, isn't there barriers at the beach car park?

Pass. It's been a while since I've been there so I don't remember. I just know it's a nice spot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Lahinch beach car park is a nice spot but can be a little busy and noisy, found Clare to be tougher generally to find places to park a high roof van overnight - there are some friendly and approachable landowners around Fanore though that might accomodate a camper overnight for a few cakes or beers.

Edit - if a beach isn't top priority, there's some really nice spots along the cliffs outside Kilkee

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Freedive Ireland

Whitestrand, if parking near the rescue centre you'll need levelers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭karmaan

Carigaholt
    harbour at Doonbeg
    Bridges of Ross
    Mountshannon
    Loop head lighthouse
    Kilaloe

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Itineoman

You could use the park4night app https://park4night.com/
    Lots of options in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It's your first night and with kids.

You will want everything to go smoothly.

I'd advise going to a camping site.

You will have security, facilities and space to get used to the van.

I spent 9 years wild camping. I've never needed security.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Get THIS APP, it is specifically for Ireland and is well worth the few Euro for the paid version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭stephenmarr

I spent 9 years wild camping. I've never needed security.

where would you recommend?

Sally gap, Cliffden, West Cork, Kerry...any alltitude if you don't fit under height barriers (along the coast).

Go and get the lay of the land before the sun sets.
    Usually, I just have a bearing, not a fixed destination.

The trick is to not overshoot by doing 50km looking for a better spot than the convenient one that you passed up on en-route that wasn't perfect for some reason.

After a year at it your GPS will be full of Nav Spots that are attractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

elperello wrote: »
    It's your first night and with kids.

You will want everything to go smoothly.

I'd advise going to a camping site.

You will have security, facilities and space to get used to the van.

Our children got used to the van while it was parked on the drive! Myself and MrsCR got used to it while it was still on the dealer's forecourt, before we jumped into it and drove it out of the country (back to collect the children for the second night and subsequent 180+ nights).

If you want "facilities" there are plenty of self-catering houses for rent; anything describing itself as a motorhome doesn't/shouldn't need more facilities than are already on board. :)

Security ... ? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Our children got used to the van while it was parked on the drive! Myself and MrsCR got used to it while it was still on the dealer's forecourt, before we jumped into it and drove it out of the country (back to collect the children for the second night and subsequent 180+ nights).

If you want "facilities" there are plenty of self-catering houses for rent; anything describing itself as a motorhome doesn't/shouldn't need more facilities than are already on board. :)

Security ... ? :confused:

I'm glad you are happy with your experiences with your van.

I'm also sticking to my advice to someone going for a first night with kids.

Plenty of time for adventures down the road.

little-bit-over-cautious_o_2543107.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭stephenmarr

Were going to stay within an hour from home.
    So anywhere from Kilkee up to Doolin.

Seeing most of the caravan parks are closed were looking for somewhere to park for the night, wont need facilities.

Just close to a beach, thinking of Doolin

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭pjordan

I'd say got to Fanore to the site there. Always good to try a serviced site for your first night especially for facilities and washup

Advertisement