Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jamaican Rice and Peas

Options
  • 05-05-2021 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭

A classic Caribbean dish, I believe.

I've seen recipes in books and online, and watched them on YouTube, etc

And I've made it twice - with quite different results each time.

Problem is, I've never eaten this dish prepared by an expert, or from an authentic source.

It's hard for me to imagine just what it's supposed to taste like!

Is there anyone here who is actually from the Caribbean? Or can recommend a restaurant, say, that offers an authentic version?

Or can just describe the flavour palette and consistency?

Or failing that, what can anyone recommend as a genuine-article, reliable, true form of the dish?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

I had this before in a little makeshift place in jamaica. It was literally rice, kidney beans (peas), onions and bbq meat... i’m not sure what kind of meat! It was very simple and nothing to write home about. There are all kinds of fancy recipes for it online, but that was as authentic as I’ve seen!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

In Canada where there's a big Caribbean community I lived near a place that was known for the best Jerk chicken in Ontario and maybe the country called rasta pasta (they had a small hybrid carobbean/Italian place next door but just about everyone was there for the Jerk chicken, ox tongue, and my personal favourite - curried goat.

I came close to madness trying oto find recipes online here in Ireland, but they just couldn't get the spices right.

Thankfully we've a country with a large enough Caribbean community next door, and the following two are pretty damn good and quite reminiscent of good old rasta pasta. It's for Jerk chicken but rice and peas recipe is in it also.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/jerk-chicken-rice-peas

If you want it make the chicken too, just be sure to grill it for the full duration (not switch to oven even if it seems like an awful idea and the house might get smoky as f***) and for even longer than that recipe if you need, until it's blackened... It's this weird thick green paste otherwise. Barbecuing it is actually ideal. Picture in the recipe is a little off, this is ideally how black you want it - https://d2l4kn3pfhqw69.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/rasta-pasta-toronto.jpg

I can't even find goat meat here though, which is a real shame. Caribbean food (maybe with toned down spices though I like it hot) has really struck me as something that could do well here. It's surprisingly good for "miserable weather" days.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

In Canada where there's a big Caribbean community I lived near a place that was known for the best Jerk chicken in Ontario and maybe the country called rasta pasta (they had a small hybrid carobbean/Italian place next door but just about everyone was there for the Jerk chicken, ox tongue, and my personal favourite - curried goat.

I came close to madness trying oto find recipes online here in Ireland, but they just couldn't get the spices right.

Thankfully we've a country with a large enough Caribbean community next door, and the following two are pretty damn good and quite reminiscent of good old rasta pasta. It's for Jerk chicken but rice and peas recipe is in it also.

If you want it make the chicken too, just be sure to grill it for the full duration (not switch to oven even if it seems like an awful idea and the house might get smoky as f***) and for even longer than that recipe if you need, until it's blackened... It's this weird thick green paste otherwise. Barbecuing it is actually ideal. Picture in the recipe is a little off, this is ideally how black you want it - https://d2l4kn3pfhqw69.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/rasta-pasta-toronto.jpg

I can't even find goat meat here though, which is a real shame. Caribbean food (maybe with toned down spices though I like it hot) has really struck me as something that could do well here. It's surprisingly good for "miserable weather" days.

Not sure where in the country you are, but Eurasia in Fonthill have a butcher counter and they definitely do goat meat

Jaysus thanks for that, I'm in south Dublin so it's not far and after looking them up they might well have a bunch of other random bits I've been missing!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭con747

Jaysus thanks for that, I'm in south Dublin so it's not far and after looking them up they might well have a bunch of other random bits I've been missing!

Allow plenty of time in Eurasia it's treasure throve of stuff. If you use hot chilli sauce the Heera extra hot chilli sauce is great for marinades or anything you need a hot tomato type sauce in. It is very hot! A link here for it and another shop I used to use when in the city. https://www.asianmart.ie/index.php?id_product=17399&rewrite=heera-extra-hot-chilli-sauce-1lt&controller=product

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

There a pop up Jamaican restaurant on Dawson street called all hail give it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Thank you - the BBC recipe for the rice-and-peas part does indeed quote what seems to be the signature flavouring - thyme and allspice.
    It feels right too - rinsing the rice well beforehand, seems to be typical - and cooking it in coconut milk.

Am I right in thinking the finished rice-and-peas ought to be pinkish?
    and how strong is that distinctive flavour from the thyme/allspice/chilli/scallion/other things?
    Should it be hot, or just "spicy" in a mild way?

McMurphy wrote: »
    Not sure where in the country you are, but Eurasia in Fonthill have a butcher counter and they definitely do goat meat

Thank you, will dash for it!
    Looking forward to this!
    Goat meat would have been the typical meat (if any) in Indian food, too
    and even in Ireland in the Olden Times - people didn't kill and eat their good sheep or cattle, except as a rare treat for a special occasion.

I've read that kid was the original meat for Irish Stew - simmered very slowly over the open fire.

foodaholic wrote: »
    There a pop up Jamaican restaurant on Dawson street called all hail give it a go

Yes! Now that freedom beckons, here I come!

Day Lewin wrote: »
    Thank you - the BBC recipe for the rice-and-peas part does indeed quote what seems to be the signature flavouring - thyme and allspice.
    It feels right too - rinsing the rice well beforehand, seems to be typical - and cooking it in coconut milk.

Am I right in thinking the finished rice-and-peas ought to be pinkish?
    and how strong is that distinctive flavour from the thyme/allspice/chilli/scallion/other things?
    Should it be hot, or just "spicy" in a mild way?

Sorta kinda yeah, almost like a brownish "dirty pink" if that makes sense (doesn't actually look fantastic but it does taste it!). Like this - https://imagesvc.meredithcorp.io/v3/mm/image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.onecms.io%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fsites%2F9%2F2016%2F02%2Fjamaican-rice-and-peas-xl-recipe2017.jpg

Also definitely wash the rice. I sometimes do lime coconut rice and if I forget it's grand because the stickiness kind of works for that with curries etc. With this, probably because of the kidney beans, it can get very stodgy and mushy in texture which isn't great.

• Advertisement
Advertisement