Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man in his 40s cycling killed in collision with bus driver

Options
  • 05-05-2021 8:56am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭

A man in his 40s was killed when cycling his bicycle yesterday in a collision with a bus driver at Kilshane Cross, Co Dublin, which north of Finglas and west of Dublin Airport.

Emma Farrelly at the Garda press office said: “Gardaí are investigating a fatal road traffic collision that occurred at Kilshane Cross, Newtown in Dublin 11 yesterday morning, Tuesday 4th May 2021 at approximately 7.20am.”

https://irishcycle.com/2021/05/05/man-in-his-40s-cycling-killed-in-collision-with-bus-driver/

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Explains why road was closed when I went that way yesterday. Awful,

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Rip

RIP. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Awful, I really hate cycling around buses, no idea what happened here but they regularly pass me with inches to spare especially in North Strand/Fairview.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

RIP :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Folks, just remember the usual rules please - no speculating on cause

i drive through that junction several times a week, and cycle out around that area regularly. it's quite possible i'd have recognised the poor chap.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Horrendous.
    R.I.P., and condolences to his friends and family. Awful news.

RIP. :(

RIP to the cyclist, there are more than a few people who use those roads around the airport like there's no speed limit applied. It can get dicey enough at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Anyway, RIP. :(

RIP to that poor man. And condolences to his family. To just be going out for something routine and to never come home never ceases to chill me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,081 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The non-N2 roads around Kilshane cross are horrible to cycle - Busy, narrow, bendy, I avoid them whenever I can.
    RIP to the deceased.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

folks, can we leave the debate about the use of language to the journalism thread? thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,148 ✭✭✭plodder

retalivity wrote: »
    The non-N2 roads around Kilshane cross are horrible to cycle - Busy, narrow, bendy, I avoid them whenever I can.
    RIP to the deceased.
    Was going to say the same thing. The lack of hard shoulders means there is little margin for error. I see also the article in the OP was updated to say it happened somewhere between Kilshane cross and the airport, before Newtown cottages I presume. RIP.

that's at least the third cyclist fatality within a couple of km of there in the last year or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

that's at least the third cyclist fatality within a couple of km of there in the last year or so.

Is this the road that goes from the roundabout at the back of the airport to Kilshane Cross.

There is a fairly common issue on country roads, and this would be an example.

Where the road transitions from being one thats straight and good quality with lots of space either side, to becoming one where it has no space either side, and is winding with poor visibility ..... but the speed limit doesnt adjust.

Should be a 50km road, not 80km.

Am not trying to second guess blame here.

But there is a heavy volume of artics on that road and they should not be driving at 80km per hour.

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Is this the road that goes from the roundabout at the back of the airport to Kilshane Cross.
    i don't know for certain, but i suspect so.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,860 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Thoughts with his family and friends, a terrible tragedy. RIP.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

i don't know for certain, but i suspect so.

It is. It was closed yesterday morning at around 11 am

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

RIP to the cyclist, and sympathies to the Driver concerned

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

Awful, I really hate cycling around buses, no idea what happened here but they regularly pass me with inches to spare especially in North Strand/Fairview.

As someone who drives buses, I really hate driving around cyclists. I've had too many near misses (and not always the fault of the cyclist either). A >11 metre vehicle with so many blind spots for them to hide in. Both need vastly better infrastructure than is currently in place, and should generally be kept as far away from each other as possible.

With regard to close-passing, I don't understand what goes through the mind of any professional driver of a ten-tonne vehicle who feels the need to pass a cyclist closely. My own preference, especially if it's a 'serious' cyclist who's only going slightly slower than the bus anyway, is often to pull in for a bit longer than I need to and let them go off safely into the distance. The alternative is to make the effort to pass the cyclist as safely as possible, only to pull in at a bus stop a hundred metres up the road and watch him sail past.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

As someone who drives buses, I really hate driving around cyclists. I've had too many near misses (and not always the fault of the cyclist either). A >11 metre vehicle with so many blind spots for them to hide in. Both need vastly better infrastructure than is currently in place, and should generally be kept as far away from each other as possible.

With regard to close-passing, I don't understand what goes through the mind of any professional driver of a ten-tonne vehicle who feels the need to pass a cyclist closely. My own preference, especially if it's a 'serious' cyclist who's only going slightly slower than the bus anyway, is often to pull in for a bit longer than I need to and let them go off safely into the distance. The alternative is to make the effort to pass the cyclist as safely as possible, only to pull in at a bus stop a hundred metres up the road and watch him sail past.

You'd wish all bus drivers were as logical as yourself

I've been on many the bus where the same cyclist was overtaken multiple times..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,940 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Very sad. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 16,940 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

what kind of sick weirdos post this stuff under an article about the man's death, and why is it tolerated?

Sadly there is no respect for the dead & their families. More & more I'm seeing MOD warnings on RIP threads.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Mod Note: Can we take any discussion to another thread please, this is a condolences thread only. Mark's family and friends don't need to see discussion about the nature of his tragic passing in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭tnegun

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Dreadful news.

RIP.

• Advertisement