Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New House Wiring

Options
  • 04-05-2021 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi Folks,

I'm looking for advice on wiring some aspects of a new build. I used to be an electrician, more so in the industrial sector. Haven't done domestic in a long time.

- First off for ESB supply, house is c.260sqm. Is it worth getting a 16 kVA supply or is 12
    suitable?
    - Air to water heat pumps - mains wiring for these? I take it straight from board to isolation
    sw at pump. Control wiring for this system with underfloor heating, would you put stats in
    every room incl. hall and landing?
    - Is solar PV worth it? Maybe install cables for future use? Was thinking of connecting
    immersion to this as backup to heat pump.
    - Electric gates... Is 1/2 Cat 6 along with a 5 core cable enough for this?
    - Speaker system...would you loop these or run separate cables?
    - Internet/camera points all in Cat 6 back to one location. Would you bother with internet points or use wifi?
    - What about sky/virgin media? Twin coaxials back to satellite for sky and for virgin, single/twin coaxial back to location to be connected to incoming cables?

In terms of regulations
    - Bathrooms on their own RCBO. Same with outside lights?
    - Isolation switches for kitchen appliances where no access to their plugtops?
    - I've heard recently that garages/sheds will eventually be required to be wired with 10sq?

Any other regulations I need to abide by? I will be getting a friend of mine who is a registered contractor to help me, however I'm just looking to get a head start on materials etc. Many thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Sartre.

Don't work in domestic now but,

First one obviously depends on the loads obviously not SQ . M but 16kva is prob standard now with EV etc

Lighting is changed now so it's an RCBO recommended for each lighting circuit including the bathroom with it.

Heating controls, when I was doing it 15yrs ago we were fitting programmable stats in every room, that's timing and temp control

Cameras and internet, I would assume wired

Isolation of inaccessible sockets, yes

10sq to sheds , hmm can't see that happening, why ?

Domestic regs there's a shedload of them, I wouldn't touch a house unless I was doing them all the time because of the red tape and regs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

PV => HP=> DHW is most efficient.
    if going with a HP, fit a decent buffer tank

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement