Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Probate Ireland vs UK

Options
  • 04-05-2021 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

Is Probate the same process in England as it is here, or is there less to do in the
    UK process?
    I’ve just read an article highlighting complaints that the application for probate there has gone online and one survey has found that half the applications are taking 20 weeks and one in twenty is taking more than 8 months instead of the usual 2 weeks.
    What would be the quickest time for probate to be granted in Ireland, when everything is in order?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Kewreeuss wrote: »
    Is Probate the same process in England as it is here, or is there less to do in the
    UK process?
    I’ve just read an article highlighting complaints that the application for probate there has gone online and one survey has found that half the applications are taking 20 weeks and one in twenty is taking more than 8 months instead of the usual 2 weeks.
    What would be the quickest time for probate to be granted in Ireland, when everything is in order?

The delays in England are a combination of a few different factors.

Firstly, they started a cost cutting programme in that Probate Offices were closed which then diverted everything to Newcastle. This created a backlog.

Then the Covid thing brought the applications to a stop with staff shortages and of course the increase in deaths.

Then they have brought in the online application. It is very hit and miss in terms of timescales. Some are back in a few weeks and some are taking months- just pot luck really.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Yes, but what struck me was they expected to have probate in a fortnight.
    A fortnight.
    That’s why they were complaining about the delays caused by centralisation.

How long does it take in Ireland if all the documents are in order?
    We are already centralised, I.e, one office in Dublin provides the service, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Kewreeuss wrote: »
    Yes, but what struck me was they expected to have probate in a fortnight.
    A fortnight.
    That’s why they were complaining about the delays caused by centralisation.

How long does it take in Ireland if all the documents are in order?
    We are already centralised, I.e, one office in Dublin provides the service, right?

Yeah but Eng & Wales has a far bigger population (circa 60m) so centralising is a far bigger task than it is in little old Ireland.

Advertisement