Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drilling a drainage hole through side entrance pathway

• 04-05-2021 7:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭

Hello wondering if anyone else any advice on this .

A few years ago l got a new patio fitted out the back garden , problem l had was the new patio ran off to the side entrance with no drain there .

So what l did was drill 2 holes in the side entrance concrete path through the path 26 inches away from the house and about 4 inches away from the boundary wall with neighbour .

So to visualise it when you walk down the side entrance right at the end of the house the 2 holes are drilled on the corner 26 inches away .

What I'm wondering is are there any long term negatives to doing this , could the water damage the house foundations , cause damp , subsidence ,do damage to the boundary wall foundation or am l over thinking it ?

There is another drain on the other side of the patio so all the rain water doesn't run into these holes .

It was just after power washing the patio and watching all the water run down the holes it got me thinking .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

Once ground below is free draining shouldn't be a problem. Water should percolate through stone under path and into soil below. Are there any sign of water build up or maybe dampness on boundary wall ?
    The best method would be an aco channel or gully piped into existing sw system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Once ground below is free draining shouldn't be a problem. Water should percolate through stone under path and into soil below. Are there any sign of water build up or maybe dampness on boundary wall ?
    The best method would be an aco channel or gully piped into existing sw system.

Thanks for the reply.

No I've never noticed any dampness on the boundary wall , its painted would probably make it harder to notice but the paint hasn't came off or flaked .

I've a feeling your right that its draining through the stone under path as I've also never noticed the holes filling up with water and causing a puddle after any rain , if l remember the guy l asked to drill the hole had a drill bit that looked about 24 or 36 inches long but it didnt go far enough so he brought a longer drill bit the next day ,he might of drilled right down to the soil under the path .

Looking at at this evening a aco channel might not have working as theres a waste down pipe in the way .

Its probably fine as it is , it was just when l saw the power washer water draining down l thought to myself could this be doing any harm to the house foundation .

Thanks

Advertisement