Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indoor training to complement outdoor spins

Options
  • 04-05-2021 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

So over lockdown/winter I bought a turbo trainer and for a while I mostly gave up on outdoor spins. I signed up to a plan with The Sufferfest. While I didn't get round to the 2nd FTP test at the end I definitely felt it benefitted my cycling when I got back outdoors.
    Now that there is no lockdown limit and weather is better I am back cycling outdoors. I want to improve my performance but at the same time I enjoy my outdoor spins and not have them structured either in endurance/recovery easy spins or set timed intervals. If I want to go hard up a hill I want that freedom.

So my question is... If I was to say cycle 5/6 times a week, with a mix of indoors and outdoors what indoor sessions would best help improve my performance? A mix of structured intervals and recovery rides indoors and free spins outside?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,310 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I don't use Sufferfest, and I generally don't get out during the week. But from the TrainerRoad forums, a lot in your position do their "Low Volume" plans, which are 3 structured workouts a week and try to hit them.

I generally only get out at the weekend as things stand, so I do mid volume, and then swap the "moderate" weekend workout for the unstructured workout.

The children are another year older, so I hope to get back to club racing. I'm waiting to see when that is confirmed before deciding what to do. Well obviously it'll be swapping the race for a hard workout, but it's more the mix of morning (when I train) with the single evening race that I'll have to figure out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

With a power meter indoors you should train using power zones. Each session should primarily target 1 zone. What software do you intend you use?

You can do intervals outdoors also, just fnd a training loop with some hills and drags, monitor your time on the segments

Recovery rides are training rides. If you want to recover, lie on a couch

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Dow99

The consensuses is that sweetspot training (between 84% to 97% of your FTP or 75-85% of maximum heart rate ) gives you the best bang for your buck. If you have a direct drive smart trainer switch it to ERG mode and you'll be bang on what effort you need to put out...

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I don't use Sufferfest, and I generally don't get out during the week. But from the TrainerRoad forums, a lot in your position do their "Low Volume" plans, which are 3 structured workouts a week and try to hit them.

I generally only get out at the weekend as things stand, so I do mid volume, and then swap the "moderate" weekend workout for the unstructured workout.

The children are another year older, so I hope to get back to club racing. I'm waiting to see when that is confirmed before deciding what to do. Well obviously it'll be swapping the race for a hard workout, but it's more the mix of morning (when I train) with the single evening race that I'll have to figure out.

This probably sounds like what I am looking for. I only chose Sufferfest as a friend used it, and I thought I wanted something a bit more interactive. But I found myself turning off the videos and watching something else instead. So TR might be a good option

Advertisement