Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike recommendations

Options
  • 04-05-2021 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭

Please let me know if there’s a dedicated thread for this kind of post and I’ll delete and go there.

I’m looking for a hybrid style bike. Flat handle bars, hydraulic brakes, comfortable for long rides (speed not of such importance). Able to travel bumpy terrain (e.g. canal paths) - so wider tyres are better?

I’m based in Dublin and have a budget of €1000ish.

I was looking at a TREK Dual Sport 3.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

I don’t know a lot about hybrids but it sounds to me like you are on the right track with wider tyres and hydraulic brakes. I think the other important aspect to keep an eye on is the overall weight of the bike. Depending on your own weight, fitness and the amount of hills you intend to tackle, having too heavy a bike can be off putting and a bit demotivating. If you are 60kg and the bike is 15kg, you might find it tough, but at 90kg it might be fine.

I had a quick look at the bike you mentioned and the only thing I’d question is if the front suspension is right for you? It adds probably 2-3 kilos to the overall bike weight. It might be worth it if you will be travelling faster or for long periods over uneven surfaces but just something to think about. Personally I would go for something that can fit at least 35mm tyres and skip the front suspension to save a bit on weight but again your own preferences and intended use might be different.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I've a hybrid (2013 Giant Roam 2) and its great.
    However, whilst the front adjustable suspension seemed like a good idea at the time, I've no need for it. With some exceptions, the canal towpaths in general are fine for a road bike never mind a hybrid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

someone on the forum got one of these a few weeks ago, looks like a tidy piece of kit.

https://www.boardmanbikes.com/gb_en/products/2344-urb-8.9-2021.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

A friend of mine was looking for a similar bike so I said I would do a bit of online research for him for availability There seems to be a huge shortage of that kind of bike especially in medium or large sizes. A few small size around. If you are not buying on the bike to work scheme I would consider second hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

I had a trek ds 2. They are a good bike but heavy and there was no need for the suspension on it.
    I'd get a hybrid with big tyre clearance. 2nd hand might be your best bet. Giant, cube etc are good makes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I wouldn't rule out road bikes completely. These days with relaxed geometry frames, disc brake bikes coming with wider 28-32c tyres and allowing room for even bigger sizes and 32-34t cassettes for easy gears up the hills, they're really not uncomfortable. Plus drop handlebars give you three hand positions for extra comfort on longer spins. You're not in a very aggressive position and wide tyres with lower pressure should even out the bumps.

If you definitely want to go flat bar hybrid don't go with a suspension fork. They're heavy and unless you're riding mountain bike trails, dropping off curbs/steps and going over very tough terrain and taking an impact I wouldn't bother.

Just keep in mind there's only so much comfort on a bike. I had a hardtail MTB, the suspension fork only does so much when your back wheel will hit the same things the front wheel did.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

OP any consideration for a good Mountain Bike?
    I changed to one from road bike after knee issues that no amount of bike fits could fix , the less aggressive position seems to be key for me and ive not looked back since.
    Yes its slower but i can go anywhere on it and i can tell you its no less effort than a road bike probably more so its fantastic for fitness if thats your goal.
    I do mostly road,canal towpaths,forest trails,the curragh etc and its incredibly comfortable,im only on a hardtail so not even full suspension but the whole position wide tyres all contribute to the comfort.

Advertisement