Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nail gun for cladding wall

• 03-05-2021 9:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭

Hi all,

Planning on cladding part of my garden wall (4 inch block) in the summer with 4x1 treated timber on 2x1 battens.

The plan is to use concrete screws for the battens, however a nail gun seems to be the ticket to attach the 4x1 to them.

I've been looking at various options and it looks like an 18 gauge nail gun is too light? Is 16 gauge suitable? What is the best option to go for at a reasonable price?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,135 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Are you sure you should be using a nail gun for this?

There's details on recommended fixings on p11-12 of this document.

https://www.woodcomponents.ie/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/MTS-Cladding-Detail-and-Design.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭lausp

I've watched a few examples online and it seems to be the preferred method and certainly a lot faster.

Any reason it would not be the way to go?

lausp wrote: »
    I've watched a few examples online and it seems to be the preferred method and certainly a lot faster.

Any reason it would not be the way to go?

It depends on the cladding. What width and type of wood are you using?

Lumen wrote: »
    It depends on the cladding. What width and type of wood are you using?

4x1 treated white deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

Would a 16g not split the 2x1?

If the section your nailing ain't overly long? why not treat yourself to a 1st fix Eastwing hammer.

• Advertisement

lausp wrote: »
    4x1 treated white deal.

Assuming you're using 18-22mm cladding over 2x1.5 (47x35mm) battens, I would double nail that at quarter points with 50mm sheradized/stainless ring shank nails.

That gives you the required 2x penetration without running out of batten depth.

Or you could use 50mm stainless cladding screws, e.g. Spax. 40mm will do with 18mm cladding. Pre-drill to avoid splitting.

inox.ie or Screwfix (if in stock and collecting) are good for stainless fixings. Builders providers tend not to do them.

I wouldn't use regular nails for various reasons. Dunno about nail guns, I've put in thousands of nails in an afternoon with a hammer so don't see the need.

Others may have different opinions.

Seanergy wrote: »

If the section your nailing ain't overly long? why not treat yourself to a 1st fix Eastwing hammer.

I've always wanted one of those!

Have about 80 lengths of 4.8M to put up, so was looking for a faster option.

Lumen wrote: »
    Assuming you're using 18-22mm cladding over 2x1.5 (47x35mm) battens, I would double nail that at quarter points with 50mm sheradized/stainless ring shank nails.

That gives you the required 2x penetration without running out of batten depth.

Or you could use 50mm stainless cladding screws, e.g. Spax. 40mm will do with 18mm cladding. Pre-drill to avoid splitting.

inox.ie or Screwfix (if in stock and collecting) are good for stainless fixings. Builders providers tend not to do them.

I wouldn't use regular nails for various reasons. Dunno about nail guns, I've put in thousands of nails in an afternoon with a hammer so don't see the need.

Others may have different opinions.

Thanks, I do like Screwfix!

I might just use the trusty hammer by the sounds of it then. I was thinking the nail gun might be handy as I was thinking of doing some paneling inside after too but no point in having expensive tools sitting in the shed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

Did a similar wall cladding project last year using a mixture of 4 x 1 and 2 x1 treated red deal. Used the trusty hammer and 50mm lost head stainless steel annular ring shank nails from iinox.ie. Not cheap but great job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Hire a first fix nail gun for a weekend
    Either a gas powered paslode or the battery driven dewalt nailer using 50mm ring shank nails.
    To buy a gun for a one off job your looking at spending about 700e
    Or else hire a compressor and air line gun

• Advertisement

Did a similar wall cladding project last year using a mixture of 4 x 1 and 2 x1 treated red deal. Used the trusty hammer and 50mm lost head stainless steel annular ring shank nails from iinox.ie. Not cheap but great job.

Sounds good. Did you use 2x1 battens or 2x1.5?

Was actually fixing to 4 x 4 posts bolted to wall as I have piers and wanted all cladding to be flush.

1" battens are a bad idea because you won't get enough penetration even with a ring shank nail or screw.

Agreed and remember you will probably drive nails below surface of timber cladding so leave yourself a buffer. 2×1.5 battens at least and maybe check timber thicknesses before ordering nails as sizes can vary and not exact depending if planed or rough etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,558 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

use 2 by 2 rough on the wall and you have plenty room

looking here
    https://inox.ie
    whats the difference?

A4 / 316 Stainless Steel
    A2 / 304 Stainless Steel
    A1 / 303 Stainless Steel

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

A2 = normal.
    A4 = marine.
    A1 = less corrosion-resistant than A2 but easier to machine.

As I understand it A4 is only required if you're getting actual salt spray on the thing, i.e. if you live right on the coast.

Advertisement