Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hybrid tyre recommendations 700x32 size

Options
  • 03-05-2021 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

I'm looking for a recommendation for new tyres for my hybrid Specialized Sirrus. Intend to put on 700x32 size. Are there considerations needed for damp, wet weather? I will be mainly cycling on roads and canal paths.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

For road and light off road, Gravel king slicks in 32c are a great tyre IMHO. Schwalbe G-One all-road are also decent though not very hard wearing in my experience. If the canal paths are likely to be muddy ones you might want a tyre with a bit more bite, if they're gravelled most 32c tyres will work fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭kelzer

smacl wrote: »
    For road and light off road, Gravel king slicks in 32c are a great tyre IMHO. Schwalbe G-One all-road are also decent though not very hard wearing in my experience. If the canal paths are likely to be muddy ones you might want a tyre with a bit more bite, if they're gravelled most 32c tyres will work fine.

Thanks for the recommendations, looking for a bit more road focused as I don't think I'll be on gravel to often.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭whodafunk

Svhwalbe Marathon Plus - bomb proof. Had good success on Specialized Armadillo in the past also and Schwalbe Durano plus but don’t think these are available any more. Running Bontrager on my commuter front wheel and no issues to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Pirelli Cinturato Velo? I'm looking at these to replace the tyres on my commuter bike when they're due to be replaced. A road tyre with solid puncture protection, reasonable weight and rolling resistance. Apparently they're better protection than the Gatorskin or GP 4 Seasons without a huge weight penalty.

Marathon Plus are absolutely bomb proof and I never had an issue with grip on them but the weight and thick thread makes them a very dull ride.

kelzer wrote: »
    Thanks for the recommendations, looking for a bit more road focused as I don't think I'll be on gravel to often.

Schwalbe Marathon supreme would be my choice so. More expensive and not as puncture proof as Marathon plus, but much lighter and roll way better. If you're not worried about weight or speed and want to focus primarily on puncture resistance, Marathon plus for the win.

• Advertisement

Has anyone any experience of the Schwalbe Marathon Supremes? How would they compare to the Marathon Plus?

kelzer wrote: »
    Has anyone any experience of the Schwalbe Marathon Supremes? How would they compare to the Marathon Plus?

I've run both and used Marathon Supreme 32c as my tyre of choice for a number of years before swapping to G-Ones and more recently Gravel king slicks. I've Marathon plus on the kids bike, including my 21 year old daughter who cycles as her main form of commuting. Marathon plus are not an easy tyre to fit, or to change roadside if you are unlucky enough to have a puncture that makes it through the protection. Supremes are a great all round tyre in my opinion, if a bit overpriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭WOT

In 10 million years time after the extinction of mankind, another round of dinosaurs one of those cave people will dig up a marathon plus tyre and use it for a million miles on their newly invented wheel.

I’ve had 1 puncture on supremes in 6000km of mostly road / urban going. They are super comfortable, almost plush. I have had them off road on lanes, stones, cycle paths etc. Grip is poor off-road in the wet and they are kinda susceptible to cuts from sharp loose material.

Consider Vittoria Randonee at €13 each from bike24.

The original marathons (greenguard) seem to offer the best compromise between speed, protection and value. I might plump for those as the Supremes are a bit overpriced for my particular bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭saccades

Specialized Roubaix 30/32 would work well.

Love them on my road bike.

• Advertisement
Advertisement