Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop for research/blogging

• 03-05-2021 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi all, my friend is going back into education and will also be starting a blog. Are there any options out there with a budget of €300-€400? I know that's hopeful but it would really just be for online research and writing.

Only real options on Currys etc are chromebooks and I'd be hesitant to recommend one due to storage limitations. Any help appreciated.

Comments

YourFog wrote: »
    Hi all, my friend is going back into education and will also be starting a blog. Are there any options out there with a budget of €300-€400? I know that's hopeful but it would really just be for online research and writing.

Only real options on Currys etc are chromebooks and I'd be hesitant to recommend one due to storage limitations. Any help appreciated.

Check the ideapad line on lenovo.ie and sign up for the 10% discount

e.g. https://www.lenovo.com/ie/en/laptops/ideapad/s-series/IdeaPad-3i-15ITL5/p/88IPS301421

buy 4gb ram ddr4 sodimm 2666mhz to bring up to 8gb. 25 or so on amazon.

better to do that than buying some poverty-spec chromebook or windows machine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

2-5 years old laptop might work even better with Linux OS

• Registered Users Posts: 11 moldi

Will your friend do any coding at all with their blog?

glasso wrote: »
    e.g. https://www.lenovo.com/ie/en/laptops/ideapad/s-series/IdeaPad-3i-15ITL5/p/88IPS301421

buy 4gb ram ddr4 sodimm 2666mhz to bring up to 8gb. 25 or so on amazon.

better to do that than buying some poverty-spec chromebook or windows machine
    Excuse me butting in OP but @glasso can you add soldered ram or is there a free slot as well

• Advertisement

soldered and free

• Registered Users Posts: 11 YourFog

glasso wrote: »
    Check the ideapad line on lenovo.ie and sign up for the 10% discount
    Cheers glasso! Gonna have a better look at the IdeaPad range in the morning. I've done a bit of soldering in the past, so would be confident enough in adding ram too.
    markmoto wrote: »
    2-5 years old laptop might work even better with Linux OS
    I'd agree but this person isn't very tech-savvy and I think would be best off sticking with Windows for now.
    moldi wrote: »
    Will your friend do any coding at all with their blog?
    Probably not. I'll likely set them up on WordPress or similar and teach them the basics of creating a post etc

You don't need to solder

Free slot

Ram in laptop when you get it is soldered but there is an additional slot free where it just clicks in

• Registered Users Posts: 11 moldi

Probably not. I'll likely set them up on WordPress or similar and teach them the basics of creating a post etc

It seems they're looking for something really basic so I'd recommend going down the second hand purchase as you'll get better value for that money. Have him look for something that can be expanded as some other users have advised and he'll be a-ok. ;)

Advertisement