Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever regretted buying an i7 CPU based machine?

Options
  • 02-05-2021 4:55pm

Answer the poll ready in 5 minutes

Regretted buying an i7 based machine because 8 votes

I should have bought an i9 cpu
    12%
    GalwayGaillimh 1 vote
    An i5 cpu or other could have done the job
    0%
    I should have bought a mac with an M1 cpu
    87%
    ednwirelandJoyPadL1011ChibsConsonata[Deleted User]PommieBast 7 votes
    I really need an AMD cpu cases mahcine
    0%

Comments

Yep. I just didn’t need it for my usage and I bought another device afterwards which rendered it even more pointless. Barely got used.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,333 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

only thing on Dell's the i7 machines fans tend to he on a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭PommieBast

When I worked at Intel on the DPDK project a few years ago we would actually disable hyperthreading, which basically turned an i7 into an i5.

Pointless for the vast majority but it was a very good CPU to have in a laptop at the time. AMD now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭Homelander

What sort of poll is this, what's the basis of it? Seems pretty random. I mean i7 has been around since 2009. The i9 only came out in 2017.

There has never really been an outright "bad" i7 in the normal consumer models. i7-2600/2700, 3770, 4770/4790, 6700/7700, 8700/9700, 10700, etc - all rock solid CPU's.

It's only really since Ryzen 2nd gen (the 3x series) that they're more competitive with the i7 and i9. Obviously now the 5600X and 5800X are top dog. Previous gen like 1700X or 2700X were good productivity CPUs and generally good value, but still quite far behind Intel for games.

• Advertisement

Homelander wrote: »
    What sort of poll is this, what's the basis of it? Seems pretty random..

I do humbly apologize for posting this Terrible poo thread in the Hallowed Computers and Technogy forum. I beg your pardon sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

It's missing a "never regretted it" answer my i7 2600k was awesome and lasted me an eternity.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

I do humbly apologize for posting this Terrible poo thread in the Hallowed Computers and Technogy forum. I beg your pardon sir.

I mean like if it was a more in depth/specific discussion I don't think he would mind but you're literally throwing a part (i7) that spans a 10 year period into the one basket and also comparing two other parts, M1 which is very recent and the i9 which is pretty recent too. Doesn't make much sense imo, way to broad.

I also don't understand why there isn't an answer in the poll to say one is content with their i7, I reckon it skews the results ever so slightly. But each to there own I guess

Advertisement