Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 hens eggs hitting house

Options
  • 02-05-2021 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

Not sure if it's for this forum but I had 2 hens eggs hitting the back of my house earlier today. I have a security camera but it works on movement so didn't pick anything up right at that time. Recording just before and just after so about 2 minutes not recorded when the impact took place. From the internal camera there is 10 seconds between the eggs hitting. My first thought was that we had been 'egged' which has never happened before but from viewing the cameras I noticed 2 magpies in a bit of a tizzy. The back is not exposed to public walkways or anything and the angles of the hits indicate a straight on hit.
    Now it's either one of my two neighbors behind (unlikely) or is it possible that it could have been the magpies dropping them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭loco-colo

Scary

Found a pepperoni pizza stuck to my window

Makes you wonder if there really are aliens out there ...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

If they hit straight on it's unlikely magpies dropped them. Are you sure it wasn't a prank from orchestrated from the rear of the neighbours'?

Magpies will take hens eggs but won't carry off anything bigger than a bantam's egg. Does anybody very close by keep hens?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I've seen magpies taking hens eggs even full size ones. Its funny to see them try and fly with a beak full of egg but they manage.

But as suggested two at the same time doesn't work for me. I used to watch magpies steal eggs from a shed with a gap in the door, often one magpie would stand guard outside while another would dash in and grab an egg. Never would two magpies attempt to steal eggs at the same time.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,575 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The magpies must have been dive-bombing to hit a back wall instead of the ground.

The magpies must have been dive-bombing to hit a back wall instead of the ground.

Operation Chastise

How-the-bouncing-bomb-works.gif?resize=446%2C265&ssl=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,575 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Operation Chastise

How-the-bouncing-bomb-works.gif?resize=446%2C265&ssl=1

Eggschellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Eggschellent.

Didn't think Sean Connery was in the Dam Busters film :confused:

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭boardz

I've seen magpies taking hens eggs even full size ones. Its funny to see them try and fly with a beak full of egg but they manage.

But as suggested two at the same time doesn't work for me. I used to watch magpies steal eggs from a shed with a gap in the door, often one magpie would stand guard outside while another would dash in and grab an egg. Never would two magpies attempt to steal eggs at the same time.

Yeah I knew I was clinging to straws a bit......hopefully doesn't happen again! Oh and no henhouse nearby.

boardz wrote: »
    Yeah I knew I was clinging to straws a bit......hopefully doesn't happen again! Oh and no henhouse nearby.

No hens nearby means it wasn't Magpies. Just somebody messing about, with lockdown fever.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,625 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

• Advertisement
Advertisement