Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cybersecurity

Options
  • 01-05-2021 10:04pm

Hi

Does anyone know if cyber security is a difficult career to get into?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭wandererz

What's your background?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

wandererz wrote: »
    What's your background?

I think he watched one of those videos last night
    https://cybersecurityventures.com/movies-about-cybersecurity-and-hacking/

wandererz wrote: »
    What's your background?

Delivery driver

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Hi
    Expecting some demand spike soon..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Hi

You would need a firm handle on how different technologies work including

LAMP stack
    Windows IIS
    TCP
    UDP
    Standard linux deamons [ssh, pureFTP, smtp etc]
    SQL for sql injection

Knowing a programming language wouldn't hurt so you can build some serious automated attacks [python, php, jave, c#]

Research these to see if you can understand them.

1. OWASP
    2. ZAP [Be careful with this. Cyber Security is about ethical hacking]
    3. Shodan

If you are totally lost with these, you might want to consider a lot of learning. If you don't have any technical computer background, it will be a steep learning curve for a couple of years. Computer technicals aren't for everybody, never mind delving into cyber security.

Unless you REALLY know your stuff and can prove it, most cyber security contracts might only go to those who have one or more CISSP, CISA, CISM, CCNA, CCNP certifications.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

RangeR wrote: »
    You would need a firm handle on how different technologies work including

LAMP stack
    Windows IIS
    TCP
    UDP
    Standard linux deamons [ssh, pureFTP, smtp etc]
    SQL for sql injection

Knowing a programming language wouldn't hurt so you can build some serious automated attacks [python, php, jave, c#]

Research these to see if you can understand them.

1. OWASP
    2. ZAP [Be careful with this. Cyber Security is about ethical hacking]
    3. Shodan

If you are totally lost with these, you might want to consider a lot of learning. If you don't have any technical computer background, it will be a steep learning curve for a couple of years. Computer technicals aren't for everybody, never mind delving into cyber security.

Unless you REALLY know your stuff and can prove it, most cyber security contracts might only go to those who have one or more CISSP, CISA, CISM, CCNA, CCNP certifications.

Good summary, it you had a handle on those you should be able to work your way into a cyber security position.

I'd also add this service https://www.site24x7.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 22 flask_fan

Delivery driver

No it isn't hard to get into.
    You can do a free course for about 18 months (near full time) then you get a fairly poor paid entry level job and then you keep doing courses and keep studying and ten years later you'll have a good interesting difficult job.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Low Energy Eng

I'm somewhat tired of construction and I was considering getting into this field. I'd just find it hard starting from scratch.
    What would someone expect to earn with say 10 years experience?

I'm somewhat tired of construction and I was considering getting into this field. I'd just find it hard starting from scratch.

Depending on how good you were, and as a contractor, I'd say you would be looking at 6 figures.

Delving deeper, you would want to know these inside out.

Nmap
    Kali Linux [lash it onto a usb key]
    Wireshark
    Metasploit
    John the Ripper
    Kismet

Get a decent computer and/or laptop, Don't skimp. You want at least 16GB RAM, 6 to 8 cores with a good 512GB to 1 TB minimum. Learn virtual machines. These are what you are going to learn your trade on. To set expectations, Don't spend less than a grand on the PC or €500 on the laptop. You will be using your PC for learning while using the laptop to assist companies with their cyber security issues. Laptop isn't crucial. It's more eye candy in front of c-suites who expect you to have one.

Set up a linux virtual machine [an old flavour of linux with no updates just to get you going with some known security flaws], create a tiny website with apache, php, mysql and try use the tools above to break in without knowing any credentials.

Do the same with a windows vm and iis. Maybe Windows 7 of Windows server 2013, again with no updates installed. You can install these for 30 days without license.

Attack, attack, attack your own virtual machines. Never a public site without permission. Learn the above, then install security updates and try attack again. there is no golden rule for attacking as every system is different.

You could also try some old school "weakest link" stuff, social engineering. You would be surprised the information you can get just by ringing a lowly worker in a company.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 flask_fan

I don't know. About 60K probably.
    Look at springboardcourses.ie to see where you begin.

• Advertisement

Depending on how good you were, and as a contractor, I'd say you would be looking at 6 figures.

Delving deeper, you would want to know these inside out.

Learning basics about hardware / software / networking first. Some of math like binary logic for example. No point to start with wireshark without knowing networking basics.

Get a decent computer and/or laptop, Don't skimp.

Doesnt matter really, if you have an old laptop turn it into linux machine and try to mess with it. Actually collecting old hardware can help a lot. You see old router binned - take it home and try to hack (and then bin;). I used to run my virtual machines on old decommissioned server I got for free (lot of slots for upgrade) as I dont like to mess my laptop too much.

Attack, attack, attack your own virtual machines. Never a public site without permission.

Learn and read, read and learn. Internet is endless source of information and you will find lot of challenges on any level

• Registered Users Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭irishgeo

check out the springboard courses

Isnt springboard for unemployed only (reduced prices / free) ?

zom wrote: »
    Isnt springboard for unemployed only (reduced prices / free) ?

No, it's free for those on welfare, the employed pay 10%.

No, it's free for those on welfare, the employed pay 10%.
    Then who pays 100%?:confused:

Then who pays 100%?:confused:

No one. It's all government subsidised if that's what you are asking

OT : Springboard, the online learning tool where you can only view the list of courses by downloading an excel spreadsheet.

OT : Springboard, the online learning tool where you can only view the list of courses by downloading an excel spreadsheet.

That's a different program. Springboard has all the courses listed on a searchable webpage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Is backtrack still going, back in the day we used to just install backtrack and hey, we were security experts

No one. It's all government subsidised if that's what you are asking

Springboard website is absolutely useless, they list courses that started year ago (example: https://springboardcourses.ie/details/83650). I always thought it is only for people on welfare payment (unemployed or on low payment, part time workers etc..). Was I wrong? Is it like ANYONE can apply the course like one listed above in Cork Institute of Technology and State is refunding 90% of fee? I cant see course fees anywhere on Springboard page but I can figure it out myself if it is true with 90% refund.

• Advertisement

begbysback wrote: »
    Is backtrack still going, back in the day we used to just install backtrack and hey, we were security experts

It's now called Kali.
    Springboard website is absolutely useless, they list courses that started year ago (example: https://springboardcourses.ie/details/83650). I always thought it is only for people on welfare payment (unemployed or on low payment, part time workers etc..). Was I wrong? Is it like ANYONE can apply the course like one listed above in Cork Institute of Technology and State is refunding 90% of fee? I cant see course fees anywhere on Springboard page but I can figure it out myself if it is true with 90% refund.

Come back in a month or so when next academic year's courses are uploaded. Yes, ANYONE can apply once you meet the residency eligibility (FAQ 1) and it's not a government refend to you, you only pay 10% of the fees in the first place.

Advertisement