Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions for Family Break in Europe October Mid-Term

Options
  • 01-05-2021 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭

It is unlikely that we will get to go abroad this Summer but thinking maybe October Mid-Term (Covid permitting).

Looking for suggestions on location please!

2 Adults, 2 Kids 12+
    Direct Flight within EU
    Close to Beaches but not too built up
    Warm 20c ish
    Will be self-catering (Airbnb)

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭kindalen

Canaries. Flights will probably be expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Consider a house swap
    Would cut cost of accommodation

• Registered Users Posts: 5,792 ✭✭✭appledrop

Canaies would be only place that you could guarantee 20+ at end of Oct.

The problem is the whole of ireland will be planning the same after no sun holidays for 2 years.

The flights will be astronomical.

We priced Canaries for Oct 2020 last summer( ha ha how naive we were) and flights alone were over 2k for 2 adults and 1 child.

We obviously didn't book!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Hmmm - maybe City Break would work better.
    Lisbon ? End of October ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,792 ✭✭✭appledrop

SusanC10 wrote: »

Yea I'd definitely look instead at city break.

They will probably rip us all with flights but at least with city break you can check loads of places for prices!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭JimmyChew

Disneyland Paris is usually a banker. Not as astronomical as you might think.

Stay outside the park hotels. I would suggest Explorers hotel. Flights to CDG "should" be reasonable. Factor in park tickets approx 620 euro.

e2500 may cover it depending on the variables. but as we all know this will not be a normal year for ant travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

How about Seville in October. You’ll get consistently warmer weather than Lisbon and if you can find a hotel with a pool and ou can get the “beach” vibe in too. A beautiful city with plenty of great sights, inexpensive but delicious food. Or expensive food, if you fancy it. There had been direct flights from Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

It is unlikely that we will get to go abroad this Summer but thinking maybe October Mid-Term (Covid permitting).

Looking for suggestions on location please!

2 Adults, 2 Kids 12+
    Direct Flight within EU
    Close to Beaches but not too built up
    Warm 20c ish
    Will be self-catering (Airbnb)

Thanks in advance

I can't recommend Crete enough. I did it with AirBnB, wanted close proximity to beaches (walking distance), quiet enough but not baron.

So we stayed in Chania, which is a town that has plenty of places to stay up the coast outside it, even quieter but it is quiet. Most of all extremely safe.

Local people left their phones and bags on tables that were on the footpath in the centre of town.

Chania is only about a 20-30min drive from Airport so it's dead handy too.

Things to do:
    • You can walk along this huge gorge for that takes about 4-6 hours. At the end, you get on a boat that takes you back.
    • You can visit many of the small winding streets, with beautiful overhanging flowers, and eat delicious food at a good price.
    • You can walk around the old Venetian harbour and view the sunset.
    • You can visit Balos beach lagoon.

I'm sure there's more to do. Not too sure what's there for kids but if they are content playing on the beach, there are plenty of beaches nearby.

Have a skim through this video, so many beautiful locations.

JimmyChew wrote: »
    Disneyland Paris is usually a banker. Not as astronomical as you might think.

Stay outside the park hotels. I would suggest Explorers hotel. Flights to CDG "should" be reasonable. Factor in park tickets approx 620 euro.

e2500 may cover it depending on the variables. but as we all know this will not be a normal year for ant travel.

We have been to Disney 3 times so not looking to do it again.
    But good idea for anyone thinking about October Mid-Term.

Marcusm wrote: »
    How about Seville in October. You’ll get consistently warmer weather than Lisbon and if you can find a hotel with a pool and ou can get the “beach” vibe in too. A beautiful city with plenty of great sights, inexpensive but delicious food. Or expensive food, if you fancy it. There had been direct flights from Dublin.

Must look into Seville. Hadn't entered my mind.

• Advertisement

I can't recommend Crete enough. I did it with AirBnB, wanted close proximity to beaches (walking distance), quiet enough but not baron.

So we stayed in Chania, which is a town that has plenty of places to stay up the coast outside it, even quieter but it is quiet. Most of all extremely safe.

Local people left their phones and bags on tables that were on the footpath in the centre of town.

Chania is only about a 20-30min drive from Airport so it's dead handy too.

Things to do:
    • You can walk along this huge gorge for that takes about 4-6 hours. At the end, you get on a boat that takes you back.
    • You can visit many of the small winding streets, with beautiful overhanging flowers, and eat delicious food at a good price.
    • You can walk around the old Venetian harbour and view the sunset.
    • You can visit Balos beach lagoon.

I'm sure there's more to do. Not too sure what's there for kids but if they are content playing on the beach, there are plenty of beaches nearby.

Have a skim through this video, so many beautiful locations.

We have been to Crete (pre-kids) but in Summer. Really liked it. What kind of temperatures would there be at end of October?

Husband thinks that we should forget about going abroad this year 2021 and focus our energies (and money) on a longer Summer Holiday in 2022. Also that maybe we should go somewhere warmer like the Med instead of our Ferry to France trip.

At the moment we have moved the Ferry to France trip to 2022 but would only lose €99 if we cancelled it.

Advertisement