Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

blocking webpages - virgin media router

Options
  • 01-05-2021 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭

Hi
    I have the Ip address and IPv6 addresses of a webpage I want to block in the router settings - I am with virgin and lost with the settings

IPv6 port filtering
    This section allows you to specify packet filtering rules to limit the internet access for local hosts.
    The rule is created with the function specified below
    Inbound Outbound
    Enabled Disabled
    Traffic policy Yes No
    Protocol -Please choose
    Source IP address - Please choose
    Destination IP address -Please choose

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Merowig wrote: »
    Hi
    I have the Ip address and IPv6 addresses of a webpage I want to block in the router settings - I am with virgin and lost with the settings
    Home-grade routers usually have limited amount of entries for blocking.
    Websites could be hosted on multiple servers and resolve to multiple IP's or IP's could change in time.
    Not familiar with VM hub interface and options, but it would be better if you could block by domain, especially if wildcards accepted.

*.badwebsite.com

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Merowig

Unfortunately only by IP.
    Think I will need to change the router...
    Asked Virgin for support - they referred me to call a premium number - 1.20 Eur per minute, I asked for Router documentation - they have nothing....

I did manage to block websites in the past - did redo it now but it fails to block....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Knowing site or purpose for blocking might give other potential options.
    Gambling, child protection, other?
    See parental controls, might help
    https://www.virginmedia.ie/broadband/learn-about-broadband/parentalcontrols/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Merowig wrote: »
    Unfortunately only by IP.
    Think I will need to change the router...
    Asked Virgin for support - they referred me to call a premium number - 1.20 Eur per minute, I asked for Router documentation - they have nothing....

I did manage to block websites in the past - did redo it now but it fails to block....

You will have to keep Virgin's router unfortunately, bridge it and add your own one.

Advertisement