Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dash cam installers in Limerick?

Options
  • 01-05-2021 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi all,

I'm looking to get a front and rear dash cam fitted in to my car, I know Halfords do it if you pay for the service but their booking slots are pretty booked up for the next few weeks. Am I better waiting off for them or is there someone around Limerick I can go to that would fit them? Any recommendations if so? Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

I'm only guessing but I'd imagine most auto electricians would provide this service. You could give O'Shea's Auto Electrics on the dock road a call.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭Comhrá

h3000 wrote: »
    I'm only guessing but I'd imagine most auto electricians would provide this service. You could give O'Shea's Auto Electrics on the dock road a call.

O'Shea's Auto Electrics fitted a dash cam for me. Very neat job and reasonable cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭moby2101

Carcom on Henry Street, excellent service

• Registered Users Posts: 18 DarraghMUFC

Very much appreciated lads, thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭porker36

moby2101 wrote: »
    Carcom on Henry Street, excellent service

+1 for carcom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Jmccoy1

Mel Kennedy out in Slaters in Brownes Quay is the man.

Hi all, I ended up going with Ger in Carcom on Henry Street, much appreciated to the guys/gals above who recommended. Did the front and back for 90 quid where others were looking for 100 ect, thanks a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭godfrey

+1 for CarCom

g

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Carcom did work for me. I'd recommend also. But I installed a DC myself. Get a fuse tap kit if you can, google and it's very easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Carcom did work for me. I'd recommend also. But I installed a DC myself. Get a fuse tap kit if you can, google and it's very easy.

Interested on having cameras installed on my car and my wife's, sounds like Carcom are the ones to go for. Did it take them long to install front and back DCs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

eljono wrote: »
    Interested on having cameras installed on my car and my wife's, sounds like Carcom are the ones to go for. Did it take them long to install front and back DCs?

I had them install a radio in my classic car. I didn't want to mess with it. The dash cam I installed myself in my modern Volvo. I ran the wiring inside the edge of the headliner and into the fusebox. I installed a fuse tap and grounded it on to a nut in the door frame. I followed a googled guide to the letter so it was simple. Front only though, I didn't do a rear facing cam.

My friend installed his own dashcam that he bought off Amazon. Took him about two hours, but the camera is still solid after 2-years of high mileage.

Does anyone have another use for dashcams, like can one use it as a GoPro-like camera. I'm all about buying devices with multiple uses.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I've installed dashcams in my own cars and in the father's car also. They are not hardwired to the fuse box though, they are just plugged into the 12v or usb outlet in the centre console. Plenty of youtube videos on how to install them so worth watching a few before going at it. The first time it took me about 2 hours but after that I had it done in less than 30 mins. You can buy a car trim tool kit from ebay for less than €10 that is very handy for using to pry the roof lining and interior trim open enough to hide the cable. Another tip is to feed the cable down the inside of the A pillar and then behind the rubber seal of the passenger door frame. I also used adhesive cable clips (again bought off ebay) for running the cable from the bottom of the door frame under the glovebox compartment to keep the cable tidy, out of sight and away from being caught by a passenger's feet. Then go back around and make sure all the trim is back in place properly and not loose as loose or not properly fitted trim tends to rattle which just drives me bananas.

Regarding using a dashcam as a GoPro, I just cannot see you getting the same level of quality or functionality from a dashcam as a GoPro.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

My friend installed his own dashcam that he bought off Amazon. Took him about two hours, but the camera is still solid after 2-years of high mileage.

Does anyone have another use for dashcams, like can one use it as a GoPro-like camera. I'm all about buying devices with multiple uses.

Bad idea i'd say. One time you need the dashcam, and you'll have it somewhere else.

bazz26 wrote: »
    I've installed dashcams in my own cars and in the father's car also. They are not hardwired to the fuse box though, they are just plugged into the 12v or usb outlet in the centre console. Plenty of youtube videos on how to install them so worth watching a few before going at it. The first time it took me about 2 hours but after that I had it done in less than 30 mins. You can buy a car trim tool kit from ebay for less than €10 that is very handy for using to pry the roof lining and interior trim open enough to hide the cable. Another tip is to feed the cable down the inside of the A pillar and then behind the rubber seal of the passenger door frame. I also used adhesive cable clips (again bought off ebay) for running the cable from the bottom of the door frame under the glovebox compartment to keep the cable tidy, out of sight and away from being caught by a passenger's feet. Then go back around and make sure all the trim is back in place properly and not loose as loose or not properly fitted trim tends to rattle which just drives me bananas.

Regarding using a dashcam as a GoPro, I just cannot see you getting the same level of quality or functionality from a dashcam as a GoPro.

Exactly what my friend done and he was proud as punch after installing it himself. Great tips Bazz!

eljono wrote: »

He was about 2 hours and a half doing mine(front and rear DSC) but he did say the shop itself got busy so he got delayed, normally he would have it done in an hour and a half, I had a dentist appointment so it was all the one to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,769 ✭✭✭✭phog

He was about 2 hours and a half doing mine(front and rear DSC) but he did say the shop itself got busy so he got delayed, normally he would have it done in an hour and a half, I had a dentist appointment so it was all the one to me.

Are the cameras and their mounts removable or do you lose the mounts when you trade the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭TheQ_Man

What would these cost? Looking into it myself

• Registered Users Posts: 23,769 ✭✭✭✭phog

TheQ_Man wrote: »
    What would these cost? Looking into it myself

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=117094835&postcount=8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭homingbird

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32879744143.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.400b4c4dRtwTA0

Very good dashcam chechout reviews online. you dont need to break the bank for a good dashcam.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 whatdastory

Apologies for digging up an old thread but wondering are Carcom and O'Sheas still the recommended people to install a dashcam around Limerick, or is there anyone new? I have a 2 channel dash cam and just need it installed!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 yellowmellow2241

Sorry for the late reply, you've most likely got sorted in that time but Carcom should still be able to do it no problem. I've no idea why O'Shea's on Google says it's permanently closed although I haven't passed there in a while now to check

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Hi All

Sorry to open an old thread.

I am planning to buy a front and rear dashcams online and get them installed locally in Limerick. I want them hardwired so they can record while parked also.

Any shop recommendations and price?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9 whatdastory

Ger in Carcom did a superb job for me when I went!

Can you take in your own purchased dashcams? Or will they try to sell their own dashcams?

May I ask the price pls?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Why can't you just do it yourself? Plenty of YouTube video out there show how to do it step by step.

Would it not void the car warranty if I hardwired myself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Advertisement