Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help in Ireland

Options
  • 30-04-2021 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hello when I was 16 I took an eyeliner from Penney’s, was caught by the security guard, brought to the police station and my mam had to come and get me. (Stupid mistake obviously but you live and you learn), anyways I went to apply to volunteer in an animal shelter and it requires me to be Garda vetted. I went online to start the Garda vetting process and I need to disclose criminal records. Can anyone tell me if what I did would be held on my criminal record since I am now 19 , it’s been 3 years and I never heard from the police again after my Mam signed me out of the station? I’m not sure what the laws about it are since I was under 18 at the time and it was a minor offence and I haven’t been in trouble since. I then thought to myself if I ever want to go to America or Australia surely I’ll have to disclose it to them too ??? And to the Garda vetting?? Did this mistake I made at 16 ruin my life? :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Dublin Lad2021

I'm not an expert on Garda vetting, I used to Garda Vet staff and volunteers in healthcare but that was like 5 years ago now so I'm rusty on it.
    I don't think it will come up, it was a minor offence and you were under 18 at the time.

Someone else might be able to clarify further

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Annonyxxxx wrote: »
    Hello when I was 16 I took an eyeliner from Penney’s, was caught by the security guard, brought to the police station and my mam had to come and get me. (Stupid mistake obviously but you live and you learn), anyways I went to apply to volunteer in an animal shelter and it requires me to be Garda vetted. I went online to start the Garda vetting process and I need to disclose criminal records. Can anyone tell me if what I did would be held on my criminal record since I am now 19 , it’s been 3 years and I never heard from the police again after my Mam signed me out of the station? I’m not sure what the laws about it are since I was under 18 at the time and it was a minor offence and I haven’t been in trouble since. I then thought to myself if I ever want to go to America or Australia surely I’ll have to disclose it to them too ??? And to the Garda vetting?? Did this mistake I made at 16 ruin my life? :(

You don’t have a criminal record, you were not convicted of an offence. You have nothing to declare on Garda Vetting self declaration.
    Don’t steal any more lipstick, next time you may not be so fortunate!
    Best of luck.

Advertisement