Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tinder rapist jailed

Options

Comments

For Ireland? It is.

We are for some reason, very lenient on sex crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

sporina wrote: »

Not very long, or not long enough? It’s within the average sentencing range for rape in the last number of years which has fluctuated from an average sentence of five years, ten years ago, to an average sentence of 10 years in 2016, not sure what the average sentence is now but 7.5 years in this particular instance doesn’t seem that wide of the mark.

It’s an interesting one because it’s only this evening I was reading the statement of the CPS in the UK following the decision to dismiss the Judicial Review case against the them where they were accused by the EVAW coalition of changing their approach in how they handle rape cases in the last number of years -

CPS statement on the judgment in the judicial review of the prosecution of rape and serious sexual offences

Ten years average? That seems very high. I only know of 1 case that got a sentence in double digits composed to dozens that didn't do a year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭sporina

it didn't seem long enough to me but I wasn't sure what the average was/is.. I would have thought it would be longer

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Ten years average? That seems very high. I only know of 1 case that got a sentence in double digits composed to dozens that didn't do a year

In 2016 though, I just remembered seeing it somewhere because of the public outcry over the case mentioned in the article -

The average sentence for rape in Ireland has increased by almost a year to 10 years over the past decade, according to an analysis of sentencing data.

Despite public outcry in recent years about light sentencing, the data suggests non-custodial rape sentences, such as that imposed on Magnus Meyer Husveit last year and later reversed by the Court of Appeal, remain the exception, while fully suspended terms remain extremely rare.

According to analysis conducted by The Irish Times, the average sentence is now 10 years, compared to nine years and three months in 2005. When suspended portions of sentences are taken into account, the current average is eight years, compared to seven years and three months in 2005.

When compared with the previous findings from Rape Crisis Network Ireland (RCNI), which carried out the only previous large-scale survey of rape sentencing, the figures show a gradual increase in rape sentences over the past 10 years. This matches the trend seen in the UK, where the average effective sentence now also stands at eight years.

Rape sentences averaging 10 years after rise over last decade

There was also this case from last year where the Judge handed down an 11 year sentence in that particular case -

Healthcare assistant jailed for 11 years for rape of woman with Alzheimer's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,325 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Many sexual offences don't reach the standard to be prosecuted and sentences for rape, even if they are vile happenings that may be colloquially referred to as rape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Diamond_Hands

In any decent and well-functioning society, a violent rapist with serious previous convictions would not be imprisoned for 7 years, but the rest of their living life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

How many rapists are jailed per year on average? The sample size surely isnt massive

Advertisement