Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High Cost Connection to Gas Network

Options
  • 30-04-2021 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi folks. I recently inquired with Gas Networks Ireland about connecting my house to the gas network (I live in a village which has an existing gas line passing through it). I was told by GNI that the process for connecting me would involve a "mains extension" which would cost in the region of €15k (yes fifteen thousand) which I was quite surprised by. I spoke to a local plumber who thought this sounded very excessive.

I didn't get an exact distance from my house to the gas line from GNI, but from measuring it myself the house is approximately 45-50 metres to the road which the gas line runs along. My house is located on a council-owned cul-de-sac which is shared by me and one other neighbour. Perhaps the fact that the connection from the gas line to my house has to pass along this road is what is driving the costs.

I can proceed with the application and have a GNI technician come out and take a look which will hopefully clarify more. However I'm wondering if people here have had similar quotes for connecting to the gas network or any other general advice/thoughts for me. Obviously if the quote ends up staying at approx €15k, it likely would not be economical for me to switch from oil to gas (even if I convinced my neighbour to share the costs so he too could connect!).

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

we were in a similar situation only it would costs us 18k with all by coming costs of health and safety and traffic controllers , road closures
    58 meters of the house to the road (N95) and had to go to the other side of the road
    We decided to stay by oil

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Why not use calor bulk tank instead. Yes a dearer unit cost but 15k is a long time in few cents a unit more

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Tom44

Per kw of heat, oil is thereabouts the same Price as natural gas, stick with oil.

Advertisement