Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unlawful Subletting of Social Housing

Options
  • 30-04-2021 8:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

I have an issue with the house I am living in, I am suspecting that the landlady is renting out a house which in reality is a social house for multiple reasons.

She does not provide a contract and never mentioned a rent book. (I insisted to get a rent book which she could not refuse)

Many things are broken in the house and she does not want to repair them (Oven, cooker-we are using a manual lighter at the moment). Recently the washing machine started to leak.

She rents out the house with many people. She used to keep a bedroom for herself (I think that's just an eyewash) and now she is subletting it. The amount of money she receives from subletting this house is around €1500-€2000

The supposedly landlady is not even Irish.

How do I confirm that my suspicion could be correct?

Your answers are helpful to me.

Thank you very much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭Deeec

What do you want to achieve by finding this out?
    Of course it is wrong if she is doing this - If it is true and you want to make an issue of it you could find yourself without a place to live. My advice would be to find somewhere else to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

If you suspect welfare fraud then fill in a report on the welfare.ie website and itll be investigated. This is anonymous

https://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/secure/ReportFraud.aspx

It seems like you'll lose out if you do that and you're right. I see no win for you bar some debatable moral victory. Anyway, hope teh above answers your question.

Seems like youd be better off addressing the actual issues affecting you in the tenancy first?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Its certainly possible. But surely a big risk to her.
    I know someone who was subletting a hotel room a couple of years ago where the council put her.
    Brazenly had it on AirBnb and told anyone coming to it that it was a private hotel room.
    She stayed in her sisters house on the nights that it was let on airbnb.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Ah, relevant facts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,755 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ada101 wrote: »
    Hi,

Many things are broken in the house and she does not want to repair them (Oven, cooker-we are using a manual lighter at the moment). Recently the washing machine started to leak.

That is not a reason why it may be a social house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

Ada101 wrote: »
    Hi,

I have an issue with the house I am living in, I am suspecting that the landlady is renting out a house which in reality is a social house for multiple reasons.

She does not provide a contract and never mentioned a rent book. (I insisted to get a rent book which she could not refuse)

She rents out the house with many people. She used to keep a bedroom for herself (I think that's just an eyewash) and now she is subletting it. The amount of money she receives from subletting this house is around €1500-€2000

How do I confirm that my suspicion could be correct?

Your answers are helpful to me.

Thank you very much

Report it to your local County council. they wont throw you out of the house...but the will investigate. they will also offer you alternative accomodation sometime down the line if your suspicion is correct. this is clearly illegal and if the landlady if guilty should be convicted of fraud..this is widespread i Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭wench

Nozebleed wrote: »
    Report it to your local County council. they wont throw you out of the house...but the will investigate. they will also offer you alternative accomodation sometime down the line if your suspicion is correct. this is clearly illegal and if the landlady if guilty should be convicted of fraud..this is widespread i Ireland.
    Why would the council offer a private tenant alternative accommodation? They haven't enough for those on the housing list.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,041 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I don't see anything in your post op that suggests it's a social house? Only that the landlord may not be declaring rental income.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

If she lives in the house and is doing rent a room then the max she can earn before paying tax is 14000 pa and she has to be living in the house.

2000x 12 is 24000 so i hope she is paying tax on this.

If she is renting out the whole house and does not live in the house then she is subject to income tax on rental income as per usual rules.

So..... is she tax compliant?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclette

The local fire safety officer might be interested too, if there are lots of people crammed into a small house.

You are unlikely to know or be able to find out if the landlady is tax compliant but you can contact Revenue https://www.revenue.ie/en/corporate/assist-us/reporting-shadow-economy-activity/reporting.aspx

No matter who you complain to OP, you’ll find yourself without somewhere to live in jig time. Have you considered this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

No matter who you complain to OP, you’ll find yourself without somewhere to live in jig time. Have you considered this?

It is more important that abuse of social housing is stopped. I presume there is no abuse here and there will be no problems for the tenant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭EddieN75

<MOD SNIP>

MOD NOTE

Please don't suggest anything illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Bicyclette wrote: »
    The local fire safety officer might be interested too, if there are lots of people crammed into a small house.

If it's a single dwelling the Fire Safety officer will have no remit to either inspect or take action. The legislation specifically omits single dwellings

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ada101

Thanks a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭TSQ

Paulzx wrote: »
    If it's a single dwelling the Fire Safety officer will have no remit to either inspect or take action. The legislation specifically omits single dwellings

I don't think you are correct. The fire officer can inspect a dwelling where rooms are being let individually. I know of a situation where a single family home was being rented per bed space to various people. A complaint was made to the local authority and the only way they could deal with it under legislation available to them was by sending round the fire officer. Incredibly, there was no other enforcement route available to them, despite the obvious overcrowding and apparent change of use from private home to essentially a guest house or hostel.

Advertisement