Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bending conduit

Options
  • 29-04-2021 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭

Hi.
    Trying to bend some conduit and struggling to get it bend like in the yt videos.

Can anyone see what is going on based on the outcome attached?

I'm trying to put 2 opposing 90deg bends into a small length of conduit. So I'm unable to put in wide sweeping bends. I'm guessing that is part of the problem. However even before I bend very far the inside of the bend behind to wrinkle.

Is this winning problem associated with old conduit, bad spring, poor technique, too tight radius or what?

Any suggestions for how to do this? I don't want to use flex conduit as it needs painted to blend in with its location and flex would be to hard to paint and prevent from cracking.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Use metal conduit and a bending machine.
    Or use right angle boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

cut at 45 and glue?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Hi.
    Trying to bend some conduit and struggling to get it bend like in the yt videos.

I'm trying to put 2 opposing 90deg bends into a small length of conduit. So I'm unable to put in wide sweeping bends. I'm guessing that is part of the problem. However even before I bend very far the inside of the bend behind to wrinkle.

Is this winning problem associated with old conduit, bad spring, poor technique, too tight radius or what?

Any suggestions for how to do this? I don't want to use flex conduit as it needs painted to blend in with its location and flex would be to hard to paint and prevent from cracking.

You should be able to get a better result than what you are achieving. As to what’s wrong it’s hard to say from the photos. It may be an issue with the conduit itself, you could try getting some from another supplier.

Bend it slowly, by degrees releasing each time. You could heat it slightly if required although it shouldn’t really be necessary.

I presume you are using an internal spring?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭tweek84

Hi.

Looks like conduit for ph4 heating exam 🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Yes internal spring.
    Could it be related to the age of the conduit - God only knows how old it is.

I've got not access to a bending machine for metal conduit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Jake.

I could never be bothered with bending pvc conduit

Never found much use for it either except drops

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Bruthal.

Too tight a bend or too cold perhaps. Anyway, plastic conduit never all that great except for straight drops as said. Better off using the manufactured sweeping bends if plastic is used.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I've got not access to a bending machine for metal conduit.

Then I would strongly recommend that you use steel conduit (class 4). It will be a far better job. Always install boxes, at least one after every two 90 degree bends.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Another attempt. Much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

2011 wrote: »
    Then I would strongly recommend that you use steel conduit (class 4). It will be a far better job....

Exactly this !

Have Never seen plastic conduit being bent for an install ( now maybe thats because I've lead a sheltered life :D )

Always used steel conduit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Another attempt. Much better.

I know it’s a bit late but you can buy 90 degree sweeping bends with no inspection cover that would achieve that for you also.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭tweek84

0lddog wrote: »
    Exactly this !

Have Never seen plastic conduit being bent for an install ( now maybe thats because I've lead a sheltered life :D )

Always used steel conduit

You should have used it on block release, put the bending spring in to the conduit to the required section, warm the conduit by rubbing it (there are other terms used :D ) then start to bend, depending on your preference you can bend across your knee or thigh or bend free hand, take your time and rub to heat accordingly, bend past the point of the angle you require because when you remove the spring it will straighten slightly.

Advertisement