Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underage Full Contact Training

Options
  • 29-04-2021 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have an opinion on whether full contact training for underage can return on the 10th. No mention of adults being non contact so presume that means full contact for all ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

The GAA issued a statement with a bit of generic information and then said they plan to clarify things with the Department and issue further specif information next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

onmebike wrote: »
    The GAA issued a statement with a bit of generic information and then said they plan to clarify things with the Department and issue further specif information next week.

What is allowed atm in terms of training etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

gozunda wrote: »

Don't over think it. What's allowed what's not allowed. You'll just end up telling the kids to stop doing things for the entire session.

We were back with our under 6s on Saturday morning. 2 coaches to 4 kids. We had set up for 2 coaches to 6 kids but got less than expected but it worked out well.

30mins hurling, 30mins football. The hurling was fine, they were concentrating on the couple of drills and getting used to stick and ball.

The football was a different story. My 4 lads were going well, 2 of them "got tired" and wanted a break so decided to start wrestling. Tried to coax them back into the football but they said they were enjoying the wrestling so I left them to it for a minute or 2.

Every so often I'd throw the ball into the middle of them and get them to engage with me again. But it's about having fun, to the letter of the law should I have allowed them to be rolling around on the ground? No, I shouldn't. But they're 5/6 years old so pretty much zero risk.

All 4 said they couldn't wait until next Saturday after the session so that was job done imo. The older ages will be easier to manage and do what they're told, mostly.

Do your best, dont overthink it and just go with the flow.

gozunda wrote: »
    Non contact is the main thing. Pods of 15 also....though you wouldn't want a pod up to this size anyway. There might be a temptation to make things a bit more static because of the non-contact, but you can have kids plenty active without full contact. A little more difficult with the very young ages (because of understanding), but matches can have non-contact tackling rules - stand in front and make yourself wide for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

The FAI have said full contact at all levels can return from next Monday. Haven't seen any equivalent response from the GAA - anyone see anything?

https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status/1389981573873913858?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭C.O.Y.B.I.B

The FAI have said full contact at all levels can return from next Monday. Haven't seen any equivalent response from the GAA - anyone see anything?

https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status/1389981573873913858?s=19

Sports Ireland have said all underage sports can resume Full contact from May 10th which is great news .

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=4118511134836571&id=167983336556057

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Good stuff

Now we wait for the GAA to confirm it..................

Dublin statement. Contact from Monday and Go Games in June and July.

https://www.dublingaa.ie/juvenile/ccc1-update-thursday-6th-may

Advertisement