Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Communal washing machine issue

Options
  • 29-04-2021 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

So I am living in a building with 3 other apartments with the two downstairs apartments which one of them I am living where we don't have a washing machine or a dryer we have an outdoor communion one that is in the back garden. Where it's €1 for 30-minutes which is absolutely scandalous to be honest. I am spend an average of €15 a week doing washing which works out to be €60 a month which is €720 which is ludacris to be honest.

The system is an absolute pain in hole but the landlord has argued that he uses the money from the coin machine to pay for the bins but considering the upstairs apartment has its own washing machine/draw means it's the two downstairs apartments that are paying for the bins.

On numerous occasions I can't use the machine because the coin machine was full which is great fun when you really need to wash your clothes for work...

I approached the landlord and ask him could we lower the price to €1 for one hour or if we could just pay a flat rate monthly fee of €15 to have unlimited access to the machine.

He said no which is annoying because he's clearly profiteering off the coin machine.

Has anyone else found themselves in this position as a renter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Grisham78 wrote: »
    So I am living in a building with 3 other apartments with the two downstairs apartments which one of them I am living where we don't have a washing machine or a dryer we have an outdoor communion one that is in the back garden. Where it's €1 for 30-minutes which is absolutely scandalous to be honest. I am spend an average of €15 a week doing washing which works out to be €60 a month which is €720 which is ludacris to be honest.

The system is an absolute pain in hole but the landlord has argued that he uses the money from the coin machine to pay for the bins but considering the upstairs apartment has its own washing machine/draw means it's the two downstairs apartments that are paying for the bins.

On numerous occasions I can't use the machine because the coin machine was full which is great fun when you really need to wash your clothes for work...

I approached the landlord and ask him could we lower the price to €1 for one hour or if we could just pay a flat rate monthly fee of €15 to have unlimited access to the machine.

He said no which is annoying because he's clearly profiteering off the coin machine.

Has anyone else found themselves in this position as a renter?

Launderette?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,071 ✭✭✭mikeecho

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Twin tub, issue sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Not that simple I imagine. If the appt is not plumbed for washing machine (water source and outlet) then you would have to ask landlords permission to make the alteration and we can all guess how that will end.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭112143

Ludo wrote: »
    Not that simple I imagine. If the appt is not plumbed for washing machine (water source and outlet) then you would have to ask landlords permission to make the alteration and we can all guess how that will end.

I think a twin tub can connect to the tap and empty into the sink, no permission needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Deub

Have you spoken to the other tenant using the washing machine/dryer?

If you both start using a laundrette, the landlord won’t see any money coming in and your proposition may become suddenly interesting to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

How is it that you need to do 15 washes a week? How many full loads of clothes can you possibly dirty in 7 days that justifies that frequency? Are you washing for a family of 10? I mostly use an economy wash done in 30 minutes and only use longer settings for whites or heavily soiled garments. For one person, 2 or 3 loads a week is surely the max amount of washing required?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

ongarboy wrote: »
    How is it that you need to do 15 washes a week? How many full loads of clothes can you possibly dirty in 7 days that justifies that frequency? Are you washing for a family of 10? I mostly use an economy wash done in 30 minutes and only use longer settings for whites or heavily soiled garments. For one person, 2 or 3 loads a week is surely the max amount of washing required?

Perhaps they poop themselves on a regular basis? Does that answer your question?

For the OP, first step is to talk to the landlord about getting your own washing machine and drier. Your paying for the utilities, so the running costs won't affect landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭jhegarty

It's €1 for 30-minutes, so each wash will be multiple euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Grisham78

I don't do 15 washers a week I only wash once a week but it cost me €15. Because it's €1 for 30 mins

• Advertisement

MarkR wrote: »
    Perhaps they poop themselves on a regular basis? Does that answer your question?

For the OP, first step is to talk to the landlord about getting your own washing machine and drier. Your paying for the utilities, so the running costs won't affect landlord.

Unfortunately I only have one man kitchen and there is no piping to get a wash machine combo installing into my apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Deub wrote: »
    Have you spoken to the other tenant using the washing machine/dryer?

If you both start using a laundrette, the landlord won’t see any money coming in and your proposition may become suddenly interesting to him.

Totally agree, but are launderettes open at the moment? I know the one in the town near me has been closed for a while now.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

I don't do 15 washers a week I only wash once a week but it cost me €15. Because it's €1 for 30 mins

One wash takes 7.5 Hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It’s taking 7 hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,418 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Do you mean it costs €1.50 a week?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It’s taking 7 hours?

Maybe part of that is the cost of using a tumble drier?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Forget that nonsense. Go to one of the public machines you see around, heres an example :
    http://www.revolutionlaundry.ie/

18KG for 8 euro.

And then once things open up, start using a launderette. You're being held to ransom here by the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Mustn’t be great if it takes that long.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

If he is using 16 euro for one washing and drying cycle he would be better off going to a launderette.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

horgan_p wrote: »
    Forget that nonsense. Go to one of the public machines you see around, heres an example :
    http://www.revolutionlaundry.ie/

18KG for 8 euro.

Do many people use these machines for their own clothes? The only people I know of that use them only ever wash their dog blankets.

• Advertisement

Do many people use these machines for their own clothes? The only people I know of that use them only ever wash their dog blankets.

Do the dog blankets come out dirty? If not then clothes won't either.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

I've used them to wash duvets and towels.
    I've seen lots of people use them to wash their clothes.

They've always come out clean.
    Our washing machine wouldn't be up to washing duvets.

Yes that's including the washing and the tumble drying.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,781 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Op, could you run an extension lead from your apartment to the washing machine/dryer while you are using them?
    You'd still be paying for the electricity but at the correct rate.

Perhaps not practical but it's a simple solution.

Advertisement