Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get soil/clay/rubble taken away?

• 29-04-2021 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I'm about to dig a trench in the garden and the soil is essentially clay and it's full of rocks and builder's rubble.

I'm going to end up with approx 2m3s of this stuff, but all skip hire companies seem to have a ban on soil/clay/rubble.

How can I get it taken away?

Thank you.

(I'm located in Dublin)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 craggel69

Not sure where you're located but just checked a few in Dublin and although some do limit the types of skips that you can or can't put soil or rubble in (M50 & Panda i.e. smaller skips are not suitable or large ones with high sides), others didn't say you couldn't (skiphiredublin.ie). One company i saw said they can't accept soil and rubble along with other waste but seem happy to take it on its own (Target). I'm sure there are plenty more that don't accept it but hopefully you can find one near you that works.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭xboxdad

craggel69 wrote: »
    Not sure where you're located but just checked a few in Dublin and although some do limit the types of skips that you can or can't put soil or rubble in (M50 & Panda i.e. smaller skips are not suitable or large ones with high sides), others didn't say you couldn't (skiphiredublin.ie). One company i saw said they can't accept soil and rubble along with other waste but seem happy to take it on its own (Target). I'm sure there are plenty more that don't accept it but hopefully you can find one near you that works.
    Cheers

Thank you for looking into these options for me. (I just updated my post with my location - Dublin)
    I'll look into those questionable cases you mentioned!
    In the meantime I talked to Keywaste and they said they don't service my area with skips, but they can collect bags of soil&rubble.
    Their truck can only lift 1 ton at a time, so I'd have to use the MIDI/1cy bag which is of course the most expensive option, but at least something :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,186 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

do they mean 1 ton, or a '1 ton bag'?
    people often refer to cubic metre bags as '1 ton bags' but obviously how much they weigh depends on what's in them. i'd be surprised a waste company would buy trucks that can only lift a ton.
    a '1 ton bag' filled with soil will weigh more than a ton.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭standardg60

xboxdad wrote: »
    Thank you for looking into these options for me. (I just updated my post with my location - Dublin)
    I'll look into those questionable cases you mentioned!
    In the meantime I talked to Keywaste and they said they don't service my area with skips, but they can collect bags of soil&rubble.
    Their truck can only lift 1 ton at a time, so I'd have to use the MIDI/1cy bag which is of course the most expensive option, but at least something :)

I've never had any issue with filling a skip with soil/rubble OP, try Access or Payless skip hire.

do they mean 1 ton, or a '1 ton bag'?
    people often refer to cubic metre bags as '1 ton bags' but obviously how much they weigh depends on what's in them. i'd be surprised a waste company would buy trucks that can only lift a ton.
    a '1 ton bag' filled with soil will weigh more than a ton.

They said I need to use the MIDI bag as they can't lift more than 1 ton.
    I told them I won't be able to measure the weight, I can only go by whether or not I filled the bag already.
    They said it's no problem, I can fill the MIDI bag with soil/rocks.

• Advertisement

I've never had any issue with filling a skip with soil/rubble OP, try Access or Payless skip hire.

Thank you, I didn't know about these companies!

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

We've used companies like Panda who do the skip bags you buy in shops to get rid of soil and rubble in the past. Might not be officially allowed but in my experience the guys collecting them don't care.

Kerry25x wrote: »
    We've used companies like Panda who do the skip bags you buy in shops to get rid of soil and rubble in the past. Might not be officially allowed but in my experience the guys collecting them don't care.

They might not care if you mix it with some lighter household clutter or something that makes the overall weight lower.
    ...but I will literally fill 3 of these bags with clay and rocks/rubble.
    They must be able to lift the bag and soil/rocks are the heaviest sort of waste.
    This is my understanding from talking to Keywaste.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,186 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

xboxdad wrote: »
    They said I need to use the MIDI bag as they can't lift more than 1 ton.
    I told them I won't be able to measure the weight, I can only go by whether or not I filled the bag already.
    They said it's no problem, I can fill the MIDI bag with soil/rocks.
    a midi skip bag filled with rubble or soil would probably weigh two tons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Offer it for free ?

If it is any use to others.

• Advertisement

ebbsy wrote: »
    Offer it for free ?

If it is any use to others.

It's awful rubble... Not proper stones. Builders left all sorts of junk in the soil.
    I also can't store it until someone turns up to take it. ...and what if they can't take it all, etc...
    Once I fill the bag up, I need it gone.

a midi skip bag filled with rubble or soil would probably weigh two tons.

I asked them this exact question.
    This is from the chat transcript I got emailed to myself:

• Agent: We do not deliver out the bags. They would have to be purchased in your local hardware stores such as Woodies DIY, B&Q and Homestore. With the removal of soil and rubble we only allow 1 tonne max so the best bag for yourself is our 1 tonne midi skip bag.
    • Visitor 96258061: Is there any risk 1cy clay soil and rubble will be heavier than 1 ton? I won't be able to measure the weight I can only go by whether or not the bag is full
    • Agent: The truck physically will not be able to lift more than 1 tonne. You can fill the midi bag up to level load.

covering their back in case the bag breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

Put holes in your trouser pockets and sprinkle a bit out every time you go for a walk :)

1 cubic metre of soil weighs about 1500 kg depending how wet it is. It would be better if you could get a skip.

Put holes in your trouser pockets and sprinkle a bit out every time you go for a walk :)

1 cubic metre of soil weighs about 1500 kg depending how wet it is. It would be better if you could get a skip.

That reminds me of a legendary movie ;)

I'd always thought that a metric ton was the weight of a cubic metre of water.
    If so the same volume of soil/rubble wouldn't come anywhere close to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

I'd always thought that a metric ton was the weight of a cubic metre of water.
    If so the same volume of soil/rubble wouldn't come anywhere close to that.

A quick google would have given you this:

"One cubic meter of soil weighs between 1.2 and 1.7 metric tonnes, or between 1,200 and 1,700 kilograms. These metric figures convert to between 2,645 and 3,747 pounds, or between 1.3 tons and 2.75 tons, per cubic meter. Loose topsoil is lighter, and compacted topsoil is heavier."

You're correct about the water.

A quick google would have given you this:

"One cubic meter of soil weighs between 1.2 and 1.7 metric tonnes, or between 1,200 and 1,700 kilograms. These metric figures convert to between 2,645 and 3,747 pounds, or between 1.3 tons and 2.75 tons, per cubic meter. Loose topsoil is lighter, and compacted topsoil is heavier."

You're correct about the water.

Every day is a school day!
    Would have thought that air pockets and less dense humus would have had more of an impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,004 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If you filled a bucket with soil and rocks, and another bucket with water, then weighed them, my money would be on the water being heavier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

looksee wrote: »
    If you filled a bucket with soil and rocks, and another bucket with water, then weighed them, my money would be on the water being heavier.

Nope as above about 1.3 times water
    Concrete about 2.2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭charlesanto

looksee wrote: »

Did you ever see a stone float on water :confused:

Advertisement