Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAT6 connection problems

Options
  • 28-04-2021 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

Hope you can help.

I've a small CAT6 network with sockets in rooms and patch panel in utility.

I borrowed a tester and found lots of the sockets failed the test.

The first one that I'm trying to fix is proving very difficult -- the tester says "only lines 1 & 8 connected" so I've done the following
    1. Repunched the socket and patch panel -- same fault
    2. Found the second backup cable and punched that at the patch panel and socket - same fault

How can this be? I'm using a different cable and re-punched ? -- totally confused :confused:

2021-04-28-18-53-01.jpg

2021-04-28-18-53-23.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Plug "known good" cable one end to the computer, other into the tester - this should verify its not the test tool at fault. Try different tester if avail.

Providing crimping/punch done correctly, check contact pins inside wall plate(s) - could be "flattened"/damaged and make no contact.

Cable damaged in the wall would be very sad news...

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭buzz11

Mention of cable damage got me to do a continuity test and all pairs are fine - phew!

The tester seems fine - tested with a number of test leads.

So perhaps the modules are poxy? 7 out of 16 outlets in the house have failed so theres a pattern somewhere.

I'm using this cheapie punch down tool from screwfix https://www.screwfix.ie/p/philex-auto-trim-idc-impact-insertion-tool/67391

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

if uncertain, try double-punch same wire, then test again.

As for modules, observe inside port. USB drives fit perfectly into RJ45 and "flatten" pins, have seen multiple, however usually its printer/PC ports that gets damaged that way by user.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

buzz11 wrote: »
    Mention of cable damage got me to do a continuity test and all pairs are fine - phew!

The tester seems fine - tested with a number of test leads.

So perhaps the modules are poxy? 7 out of 16 outlets in the house have failed so theres a pattern somewhere.

I'm using this cheapie punch down tool from screwfix https://www.screwfix.ie/p/philex-auto-trim-idc-impact-insertion-tool/67391

You should be able to visually check the connector pins in the outlet sockets to ensure they look good ...... not bent/damaged/flattened.
    Regarding the PunchDown tool .... I much prefer to use a simple manual tool to press the wires into place, but have tried a similar tool to the one you linked. I found a few wires not properly in place and corrected the errors with the manual tool. I since use it and not either of the punchdown tools I own.
    All that is to say, you need to carefully examine the connections on the sockets as they can easily look right but fail connection tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

Are you sure the problem is at the module end and not at the patch panel. I would take a known good module and swap it with a failed and see if the problem moves, then u know ya have bad mods. I personally don’t like them mods seen them fail many times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,223 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I never got on with punch down tools, for terminating data points I ended up using coupler type face-plates and patch-panels, which meant I just had to crimp the cat* cable and plug it in

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭buzz11

I bought new modules and new punchdown tool and resolved most of the outlets.

The one that I got stuck on turned out to be a fault on the patch panel - as suggested above

Thanks for all the advice, its my first time to do this so was totally thrown by the crappy tool and modules

Advertisement