Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Recommendation

Options
  • 28-04-2021 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭

Hi there I am looking for a bike in the €1000 euro range, It will mostly be used for small cycles around the town but I would also like the option to be able to take the bike off the road and cycle on more rugged ground like the Curragh plains that are near me.

I am 6ft.

Not sure what to look for in a bike so any guidance is appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

probably a hybrid, how long would you be out on it at any one time?

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Burzum

To start just 30 minutes to an hour. Build the time up as I go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

Something like this would let the OP do a bit of road cycling and also head out the curragh,

https://www.halfords.ie/bikes/adventure-bikes/boardman-adv-8.6-mens-adventure-bike-2021---s%2C-m%2C-l%2C-xl-frames-365774.html

and is under budget, availability could be a issue though, but that'll be the same almost everywhere. Going up to the next model gets a nice upgrade to GRX and hydraulic breaks but brings the price up to 1320 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Cube nuroad is a good bike. Does everything. Can you go 2nd hand or is it bike to work? A cycle cross bike or gravel bike might be best.

Some bikes on adverts and done deal might tick the box. Very hard getting brand new bikes now.

Yeah I have no problem with 2nd hand aslong as it needs no work done, will look into the cube nuroad thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Another option... https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-cgr-al-orange-shimano-tiagra/ (again you can go up a few hundred Euro for hydraulic brakes and next step up comonents)

Bear in mind shipping costs and VAT issues (I'm waiting to see how plays out with my Ribble order, which is being delivered well ahead of schedule for some (welcome!) reason)

But I've found Ribble good to deal with and their bikes seem to be well spec'd for the prices.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Burzum wrote: »
    Yeah I have no problem with 2nd hand aslong as it needs no work done, will look into the cube nuroad thanks.
    Are you planning on using the Cycle To Work scheme - if so you won't be able to source a second hand bike.

Sorry no I will be paying for this out of my own pocket.

Advertisement