Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Design Size V Printing Size

• 28-04-2021 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Hey guys..

I have a question.

We are designing posters and printing up to A2 and outsourcing A1.

But when designing, we have been designing for A2 size @ 300DPI, so the files can get a little big and the edits can take a bit of time.

My question is this.

If we are designing at 300DPI for print, is it ok to have a file size of 297 x 420 mm (A3) and then scale it up for printing on larger paper. This would make the edits run faster in Photoshop but not lose quality for the larger prints?

Thank you in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

depends what you are designing. if its not full colour pics, then use vectorised artwork. I would normally design rasterised artwork at 224dpi in CMYK at 100% - though talk to your printing company as theres software to let you expand the size for large format printing

I nicked this from google:

"A general rule of thumb for image size versus print size is: the image size should be at least the size of the print you want multiplied by 300, at 300 dpi. For example, if you want to order a 4×6 print, the image size should be 1200 pixels (4 x 300) by 1800 pixels (6 x 300) at 300 dpi. "

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭garyskeepers

Yeah that's what I was afraid off., judging my those numbers, it would be about right to have A2 size to print on A2.

unless anone has experience of printing out on higher dimensions with good results?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Ask the printer.

300 dpi is good for reading at a normal reading distance but posters can go a lot lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭garyskeepers

well the 300 DPI is ok with me.

Its having a huge image size with multiple layers and styles which takes up the space and time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

well the 300 DPI is ok with me.

Its having a huge image size with multiple layers and styles which takes up the space and time.

a lower resolution would help with that. the lowest i think ive ever went for large format printing is 120/150 dpi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

I work in a printers, 300dpi is fine just make sure your using CMYK and not RGB when giving the file to the printers, most worth their weight will have a graphic design team in house who can easily adjust the sizing and anything else needed to print different sizes

Advertisement