Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire escape

Options
  • 28-04-2021 9:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭

Can anyone clarify for me
    :is it just the bedrooms upstairs that require the max 1.1m height of fire escape off the floor?.
    The bathroom doesn’t?.
    I have a room in roof design where the sloped ceiling will extend all the way out to the external walls. The bathroom will just have a velux with the bottom of it 1.4m from floor. Is that ok?

Also, am I right in saying the minimum width for a fire escape window is 700mm?
    Thanks

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,037 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Moggaman wrote: »
    Can anyone clarify for me
    :
    1. is it just the bedrooms upstairs that require the max 1.1m height of fire escape off the floor?.

2. The bathroom doesn’t?.

3. I have a room in roof design where the sloped ceiling will extend all the way out to the external walls. The bathroom will just have a velux with the bottom of it 1.4m from floor.
    Is that ok?

4.Also, am I right in saying the minimum width for a fire escape window is 700mm?

Thanks

1. its all "habitable" rooms which require this means of escape. habitable rooms are described as "A room used for living or sleeping purposes but does not include a kitchen having a floor area less than 6.5 m2, a bathroom,
    toilet or shower room."

2. correct

3. yes

4. no youre not. The minimum clear width is 450mm, subject to a minimum openable area of 0.33 m2. Also be aware, that 450m min opening must be capable of remaining open

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Don’t forget window restrictors and be mindful that the regulations state they are Windows for escape or rescue purposes.

Advertisement