Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Isaiah Brown Incident in Virginia, USA

  • 27-04-2021 11:02pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ hawley


    A 32-year-old unarmed black man who was shot by a Virginia sheriff’s deputy who had just given him a ride home is reportedly on a breathing machine and in critical condition.

    Isaiah Brown was shot Wednesday after speaking to a 911 dispatcher near his home in Spotsylvania County to report a domestic dispute with his brother, whom he said he was planning to kill, according to police audio.

    The deputy, who had earlier given Brown a ride when his car broke down, encountered him a second time and ordered him to “drop the gun” several times before opening fire.

    The family’s attorney David Haynes said Brown was shot at least 10 times, according to NBC News.

    “He’s on a breathing machine and remains in very critical condition,” he said, adding that Brown’s condition is “touch and go.”


    Haynes said only two bullets have been removed from the man’s body.

    Brown’s mother, Jennifer Brown, said her “concern at this point is just for my son to hopefully come home alive,” NBC News reported.

    https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2021/04/27/isaiah-brown-on-breathing-machine-after-police-shooting/amp/

    He's still in a critical condition according to the wires. There seems to have been an epidemic of shooting since the George Floyd. He'll be extremely lucky if he survives.


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 64,961 ✭✭✭✭ Overheal


    After a police interaction involving his car, Brown arrived home and got into a distinct altercation with his sibling.
    Body-camera video and at least part of the call between Brown and the dispatcher have been released. Haynes said he is asking for the call between the dispatcher and the deputy because Brown had told the dispatcher that he was not armed, meaning "this was clearly a failure of communication between the dispatch and the officers that arrived on scene."

    "He made it totally clear that he did not have a weapon, that he did not have a gun, and he was calling for assistance from 911," Haynes said. "In fact, the same deputies had just given him a ride and assisted him for a broken-down vehicle just within the past 30 to 45 minutes, but before they knew exactly who he was, that he was not armed, not dangerous."

    When Brown got home, he dialed 911 because, he said, his brother wouldn't let him into his mother's room to retrieve his car keys and other items, according to audio of the dispatch call. The sheriff's department categorized it as a domestic disturbance call.

    In the audio, the dispatcher seems to be aware that deputies had just driven him home. "Your car is broken down, so why do you need your keys?" the dispatcher asks.

    At one point, Brown can be heard threatening to kill his brother and saying, "Give me the gun."

    "Don't kill your brother," the dispatcher says.

    Recommended

    U.S. NEWS
    Bee swarm in Texas kills one person and hospitalizes another

    NEWS
    Search continues for rideshare driver in Las Vegas who disappeared during early morning shift in March
    "All right," Brown replies.

    "Why would you say something like that?" the dispatcher asks.

    "Somebody needs to come here real quick," Brown says.

    But when the dispatcher asks whether he has a weapon on him, Brown says, "Nope."

    Brown tells the dispatcher that he is "walking down the road" with his house phone.

    The deputy who responds to the call appears to believe that the phone at his ear is a firearm. The deputy is heard saying, "He's got a gun to his head."

    "Drop the gun," he yells before opening fire. "Drop the gun, now!"

    The deputy was placed on administrative leave, and a special state prosecutor will investigate, Harris said in a statement.

    Yolanda Brown, Brown's sister, said Monday that her brother is a home health aide who is "the life of the party" and is "known for his smile."

    "He has a good heart. He's a good person. And if anybody ever had the opportunity to meet him, they will tell you the same," she said.

    "Anybody knows that if you call on Isaiah, he will be there. He will be there," she said.

    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/isaiah-brown-black-man-shot-virginia-deputy-who-gave-him-n1265373

    I'd like to hear the audio involved too, absolutely, however I don't think you could fault the dispatcher for not believing the verbal denial of a weapon present after someone says "give me the gun," while calling 911 about their brother. I don't think it would be unreasonable to approach the scene under the belief someone was likely armed, either. The officers head still needs to be examined for why they thought a cellphone looked like a gun or why a cellphone-gun that is pointed at the suspects own head poses an immediate threat requiring you to shoot them dead. Hope for enlightening footage.

    The best news in this case is Brown survived, so we have more than a corpse's word and the police's word, which, even when the police are given really no other foreseeable choice, still absolutely sucks with regard to due process and civil rights.


  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ hawley


    Overheal wrote: »
    After a police interaction involving his car, Brown arrived home and got into a distinct altercation with his sibling.

    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/isaiah-brown-black-man-shot-virginia-deputy-who-gave-him-n1265373

    I'd like to hear the audio involved too, absolutely, however I don't think you could fault the dispatcher for not believing the verbal denial of a weapon present after someone says "give me the gun," while calling 911 about their brother. I don't think it would be unreasonable to approach the scene under the belief someone was likely armed, either. The officers head still needs to be examined for why they thought a cellphone looked like a gun or why a cellphone-gun that is pointed at the suspects own head poses an immediate threat requiring you to shoot them dead. Hope for enlightening footage.

    The best news in this case is Brown survived, so we have more than a corpse's word and the police's word, which, even when the police are given really no other foreseeable choice, still absolutely sucks with regard to due process and civil rights.

    The oddest thing is that the officer had given him a lift earlier in the day. Was there an altercation that led him to come back to murder him. It must be scary to be a minority in the U.S. at the moment, especially in light of the George Floyd.


  • Registered Users Posts: 22,304 ✭✭✭✭ Dyr


    hawley wrote: »
    The oddest thing is that the officer had given him a lift earlier in the day. Was there an altercation that led him to come back to murder him. It must be scary to be a minority in the U.S. at the moment, especially in light of the George Floyd.

    Murder lol, wise up there.


  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ hawley


    Bambi wrote: »
    Murder lol, wise up there.

    They knew that he didn't have a gun. Why did the cop have to be so heavy handed. We need to see more evidence. He wasn't a danger, he came across as a really gentle guy, maybe he was a bit disturbed or disoriented, but the cop's reaction was disproportionate. There have been big protests in the last few days.


  • Posts: 0 [Deleted User]


    Americas a pretty big place...I'm sure theres been an instance this week where a white cop shot a white person.
    You wont see that incident picked apart but it has to happen every single time a white cop shots a black person.

    Wasnt it only last week there was a case where the officer shot a black girl about to stab another yet the same old narrative/angle keeps getting airtime.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭ ASOT


    Hopefully with enough prayers to Saint George this young man will pull through.


  • Registered Users Posts: 64,961 ✭✭✭✭ Overheal


    hawley wrote: »
    They knew that he didn't have a gun. Why did the cop have to be so heavy handed. We need to see more evidence. He wasn't a danger, he came across as a really gentle guy, maybe he was a bit disturbed or disoriented, but the cop's reaction was disproportionate. There have been big protests in the last few days.

    They didn’t reasonably know.

    The only thing that suggested they did not have a gun was the dispatcher asking do they have a gun and Brown offering a simple “nope” to that effect. That’s not a categorically reassuring response.

    The whole reason the dispatcher asked the question was because one of the brothers said “give me the gun” while there was also a verbal comment from Brown about killing his brother (literal or not - however, Brown called 911..). This is all according to the above reporting.


  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ hawley


    The National Black Justice Coalition, a D.C.-based LGBTQ rights organization, issued a statement on Monday disclosing that an unarmed 32-year-old black man who was shot as many as 10 times by a sheriff’s deputy in Spotsylvania County, Va., on April 21 is gay.


    A spokesperson for the Cochran firm told the Washington Blade on Wednesday that Bown’s sister confirmed that Brown identifies as a gay man. The spokesperson, Ryan Julison, said the Cochran firm has “no knowledge at this point” whether or not anti-LGBTQ bias played a role in the shooting incident.

    “Isaiah’s Black and gay/same gender loving identity will likely make it more difficult for his family to attain accountability for the officer responsible,” said David Johns, the National Black Justice Coalition executive director, in the group’s statement. “Still, Black LGBTQ+ people continue to die by violence, often unreported, perpetrated by police officers and other state-sanctioned actors who do not value Black Lives Matter,” Johns said.

    https://www.washington...9-0UcxoZM9DB63TQVrjC

    We need to find out what happened in the police car during the earlier meeting. We don't know what happened or why it happened. If racism or homophobia is involved, they need to be called out for it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭ TomTomTim


    hawley wrote: »
    The National Black Justice Coalition, a D.C.-based LGBTQ rights organization, issued a statement on Monday disclosing that an unarmed 32-year-old black man who was shot as many as 10 times by a sheriff’s deputy in Spotsylvania County, Va., on April 21 is gay.


    A spokesperson for the Cochran firm told the Washington Blade on Wednesday that Bown’s sister confirmed that Brown identifies as a gay man. The spokesperson, Ryan Julison, said the Cochran firm has “no knowledge at this point” whether or not anti-LGBTQ bias played a role in the shooting incident.

    Isaiah’s Black and gay/same gender loving identity will likely make it more difficult for his family to attain accountability for the officer responsible,” said David Johns, the National Black Justice Coalition executive director, in the group’s statement. “Still, Black LGBTQ+ people continue to die by violence, often unreported, perpetrated by police officers and other state-sanctioned actors who do not value Black Lives Matter,” Johns said.

    https://www.washington...9-0UcxoZM9DB63TQVrjC

    We need to find out what happened in the police car during the earlier meeting. We don't know what happened or why it happened. If racism or homophobia is involved, they need to be called out for it.

    This is typical woke nonsense. Trying to throw an element in that may have no relevance, just because it aligns with your/their political agenda.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭ LessOutragePlz


    Don't really see the need for a new thread on every single questionable police shooting.

    Why not wait until a thorough investigation is done and all the evidence is looked at and put forward.................... but no we can't do that because this is the internet and we love to get our pitchforks out and get outraged before we know the full story!


    Might as well just open up a US police shooting sub thread at this stage:rolleyes:


  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Ten of Swords


    Don't really see the need for a new thread on every single questionable police shooting.

    Why not wait until a thorough investigation is done and all the evidence is looked at and put forward.................... but no we can't do that because this is the internet and we love to get our pitchforks out and get outraged before we know the full story!


    Might as well just open up a US police shooting sub thread at this stage:rolleyes:


    You can discuss that in the helpdesk if you wish, there is already a thread covering it. If you intend to continue posting in this thread please keep it on topic

    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058180664


  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ hawley


    Really heartbreaking interview with Isaiah's sister. He comes across as a really gentle guy and someone who is very loving. He was never in any trouble throughout his life.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.advocate.com/commentary/2021/4/30/sister-gay-police-shooting-victim-isaiah-brown-speaks-out%3famp
    After I wrote a column about Travon Free’s Oscar-winning short film, Two Distant Strangers, a Groundhog Day for a Black man who, no matter how he alters his behavior, is shot by a white policeman, another Black man, Duante Wright, was gunned down.

    It was as if Free’s film was less of a reflection of the madness of the shootings, and more a replay of the news. You can watch the film on Netflix, then switch back to CNN, and inevitably watch breaking news about another Black man being senselessly shot. The movie merely melding into reality.

    I then wrote about the George Floyd verdict, and how at that moment when the three guilty verdicts were read, there was a brief hope for the future. You went to bed that night with a slight sense of relief. But, then came the next morning, and you were jolted back to reality.

    Just like Free’s film, it’s the continuation of the same harrowing, horrific story. The day after the verdict, on April 21, Andrew Brown, a 42-year-old black man, was fatally shot in the head by a deputy sheriff in Elizabeth City, N.C. Seven officers were placed on leave as a result of the shooting. Brown’s attorneys allege he was killed execution-style by a bullet through the back of his head.


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,780 ✭✭✭ BattleCorp


    hawley wrote: »
    Really heartbreaking interview with Isaiah's sister. He comes across as a really gentle guy and someone who is very loving. He was never in any trouble throughout his life.

    :rolleyes:

    A really gentle guy who told the police despatcher that he was going to kill his brother.


  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ hawley


    BattleCorp wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

    A really gentle guy who told the police despatcher that he was going to kill his brother.

    It seems like he had some mental health issues. It could have been handled a lot better. Why was he shot ten times. He didn't have a weapon and posed no danger to the officer. It seems like he was targeted by the police.


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,780 ✭✭✭ BattleCorp


    hawley wrote: »
    It seems like he had some mental health issues. It could have been handled a lot better. Why was he shot ten times. He didn't have a weapon and posed no danger to the officer. It seems like he was targeted by the police.

    I think you might be going a little far in saying he was targeted by the police. Looks like a dumb (and very serious) error by the cop rather than a targeted killing.

    The problem here is that we don't know exactly what the cop could see as the footage isn't great. It's very dark in the footage (link below) so that's possibly the reason why the cop mistakes the phone in Brown's hand for a gun. Looking at that footage, it looks like Brown isn't complying with the cop to 'drop the gun' as the cop roars it to him many times.

    https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/video/body-cam-video-released-in-deputy-shooting-of-isaiah-brown-110887493689

    Hopefully Brown pulls through.


  • Registered Users Posts: 64,961 ✭✭✭✭ Overheal


    BattleCorp wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

    A really gentle guy who told the police despatcher that he was going to kill his brother.

    That’s fairly unfair. Given that pretty much every sibling threatens the life of every other sibling at some point. Haven’t heard the audio, lot more to it than the words.


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,780 ✭✭✭ BattleCorp


    Overheal wrote: »
    That’s fairly unfair. Given that pretty much every sibling threatens the life of every other sibling at some point. Haven’t heard the audio, lot more to it than the words.

    Ah yeah. Apologies. I've lost count of the number of times I've told a police despatcher I was going to kill my sibling. Sorry about that.


  • Registered Users Posts: 27,166 ✭✭✭✭ _Kaiser_


    Don't really see the need for a new thread on every single questionable police shooting.

    Why not wait until a thorough investigation is done and all the evidence is looked at and put forward.................... but no we can't do that because this is the internet and we love to get our pitchforks out and get outraged before we know the full story!


    Might as well just open up a US police shooting sub thread at this stage:rolleyes:

    Beat me to it - or better yet, a "things that happen in the US but aren't relevant here no matter how much social media tries" forum.

    America's long standing social, racial and political issues - while serious and generally wrong - do not need this level of coverage outside of their borders. We have more than enough problems with policing, social division and politics here without importing more.

    (only saw the mod post above now but still, I think all this stuff does is raise tensions and division here)


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,780 ✭✭✭ BattleCorp


    _Kaiser_ wrote: »
    (only saw the mod post above now but still, I think all this stuff does is raise tensions and division here)

    Ah shur it gives us something to talk about. :D


  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ hawley


    Isaiah Brown’s sister, Yolanda, told the Advocate that her brother’s condition “hasn’t changed”, and he remains in the intensive care unit. She said she’s been the only family member allowed to see Brown because of COVID-19 protocols, and she’s been there “every day” since her brother was admitted.

    “It’s still touch and go,” Yolanda said. “His vitals are up one minute and down the next."

    https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2021/05/03/isaiah-brown-gay-black-man-virginia-police-shooting-victim-racism-condition/
    If Isaiah were to regain consciousness it would mean so much. We need to find out if it was a racist or homophobic attack.


  • Advertisement
Advertisement