Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light fitting

Options
  • 27-04-2021 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

No issue in house for 3 years -
    All of a sudden today - when my young lad
    Switched off the kitchen light - the light switched back at a low wattage -
    The fitting is brass with three bulbs -
    I went in and switched light on and off and each time switch is in off the lights bulbs are on at a reduced voltage -
    I checked the cables in the switch and all are in tight - when I put the switch back on - the problem seems to have rectified itself -
    I want to discover what happened - could it be an earth issue ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭meercat

No issue in house for 3 years -
    All of a sudden today - when my young lad
    Switched off the kitchen light - the light switched back at a low wattage -
    The fitting is brass with three bulbs -
    I went in and switched light on and off and each time switch is in off the lights bulbs are on at a reduced voltage -
    I checked the cables in the switch and all are in tight - when I put the switch back on - the problem seems to have rectified itself -
    I want to discover what happened - could it be an earth issue ?

Possibly a loose neutral connection. Are there neutrals at the switch point. When you removed/replaced switch it may have moved the neutral connection in a termination block.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

meercat wrote: »
    Possibly a loose neutral connection. Are there neutrals at the switch point. When you removed/replaced switch it may have moved the neutral connection in a termination block.

Only switch wire and common in switch box

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

meercat wrote: »

Thks I’ll have a look at the fitting tomorrow might be something there thks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭wait4me

Just my 2 cents. Anything happen with any other lights in the house, like replacing a bulb, recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

2 way switch or 1 way? Are there LEDs in the fitting?

• Advertisement
Advertisement