Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build Estates in Drogheda

Options
  • 27-04-2021 4:12pm

Hi folks,

Just looking to see if m/any are looking at new builds in Drogheda? There seems to be a couple of estates on the go at the moment in the form of Linenfield, Oldbridge Manor, Avourwen, Bryanstown Woods, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some others.

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on them, pros or cons of one VS the others?

I don't know how true it is, but I did hear that Linenfield apparently went overboard with the amount of houses they gave to the council for social housing, and the other various housing bodies that exist. Again, I'm unsure how true that is, but it would to a degree make sense as they don't seem to be shifting the remaining houses anywhere nearly as fast as the other estates (all of which seem to be sold out).

It seems that with most of the estates being sold out, and with the Help To Buy being pushed up a bit, the new phases are all going to be more expensive by about 5-10% based on what I've been reading online.

All of the estates, though in different locations, appear to be about 30 minutes walk from West Street, giving none of them any advantage over the other in that regard.

Just wondering if anyone has visited all or any of the above and been in the houses at all? Are they all fairly samey in terms of finish inside, and overall sizes? (comparing like for like, of course. No point comparing a 3 bed semi-D with a 4 bed detached).

Avourwen seems to be the only "pre-existing" estate, so it's kinda hard to tell how the others will turn out in terms of anti-social behaviour issues or the likes.

Cheers.

Comments

Another thing to factor is traffic to get home/across town in the evenings depending on where you are coming from. I'd say Linenfield might be the worst in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭gipi

At the moment, it would be impossible to walk safely from Linenfield towards town - the Ballymakenny Rd doesn't have a footpath until you reach the school, and that's a fair bit in from the new estate.

gipi wrote: »
    At the moment, it would be impossible to walk safely from Linenfield towards town - the Ballymakenny Rd doesn't have a footpath until you reach the school, and that's a fair bit in from the new estate.

I think the money has been approved for that, already, though. As far as I know it's due in before the end of the year.

Rumours of the high social housing content there would be the scary part to me. It does seem very unusual that, at a time when people can't get a house for love nor money, and second hand houses are being bidded into oblivion, that Linenfield still has brand new houses sitting ready to be sold.. it's very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭enricoh

An estate agent I know was giving out yards that estates were being sold en masse to the council's/ charities.
    He'd get the gig of selling the estate say 200 houses, he'd sell say 80 and then low and behold the builder does a deal for the rest meaning no commission for him. It wouldn't inspire me to go buying tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

It's been in the news a lot the last couple of days about companies buying out whole estates or large %'s.

Having lived in two new estates I sore I'd never live in a new estate again. Unfinished roads, small kids everywhere, high rental %'s. Mature estates are much more appealing.

I know there's the HTB to think about but looking at prices, you're paying this anyway when you look at new vs used.

just my 2 cent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 zan4ik89

Hi folks,

Just looking to see if m/any are looking at new builds in Drogheda? There seems to be a couple of estates on the go at the moment in the form of Linenfield, Oldbridge Manor, Avourwen, Bryanstown Woods, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some others.

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on them, pros or cons of one VS the others?

I don't know how true it is, but I did hear that Linenfield apparently went overboard with the amount of houses they gave to the council for social housing, and the other various housing bodies that exist. Again, I'm unsure how true that is, but it would to a degree make sense as they don't seem to be shifting the remaining houses anywhere nearly as fast as the other estates (all of which seem to be sold out).

It seems that with most of the estates being sold out, and with the Help To Buy being pushed up a bit, the new phases are all going to be more expensive by about 5-10% based on what I've been reading online.

All of the estates, though in different locations, appear to be about 30 minutes walk from West Street, giving none of them any advantage over the other in that regard.

Just wondering if anyone has visited all or any of the above and been in the houses at all? Are they all fairly samey in terms of finish inside, and overall sizes? (comparing like for like, of course. No point comparing a 3 bed semi-D with a 4 bed detached).

Avourwen seems to be the only "pre-existing" estate, so it's kinda hard to tell how the others will turn out in terms of anti-social behaviour issues or the likes.

Cheers.
    Hello :)

Would you mind me asking how are you getting on with property search?
    I also considering Linenfield, but bit concerned after reading this post

zan4ik89 wrote: »
    Hello :)

Would you mind me asking how are you getting on with property search?
    I also considering Linenfield, but bit concerned after reading this post

I'm a bit late replying to you.

I've gotten no further on my search. Very few properties appearing for sale, and I'm hesitant to risk buying in a new build estate as I've seen some horror stories play out already.

I'm keeping my eyes on 'used' houses in specific areas that interest me. Linenfield, from what it seems, will be mostly private for phase 1. I am lead to believe, entirely based on rumour and gossip and nothing factual whatsoever, that there may be a large social allocation for the upcoming phases, but again, take that with a pinch of salt, as they say.

There's a page on Facebook for first time buyers in Ireland, and a couple of people there seem to be buying in Linenfield. I did view the 3 bed semi-d but wasn't overly impressed with it's layout as a 'family home' (although I don't/won't have kids, so it would kinda suit me, if it wasn't so pricey). They are houses that seem to have a small footprint.

Advertisement