Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing R63 spotlight fitting with LED.

Options
  • 26-04-2021 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

I have 20 year old downlighters in my living Room which need replacing . I have an electrician coming in a few weeks for some other minor jobs.

The old ones are R63 spotlight? 220v for sure and big old spotlight bulbs went into them.
    When I went to the local supplier, I was told they had nothing suitable and to look online because the hole in the ceiling is 80mm.

Can anyone suggest where to look of what to get? I'd like them to be safe with insulation above as we had more fitted since the lights were fitted. (The lights haven't worked for years because they used to be on a dimmer and it kept failing so we had them disconnected, but they're still in situ)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Options could be fill these in, fit new smarter up to date fittings and get gu10s from likes of IKEA or hue and you can control over the WiFi or with the latest Bluetooth too, you can get wireless switches, sensors and dim and individual lights on or off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Trex.

Options could be fill these in, fit new smarter up to date fittings and get gu10s from likes of IKEA or hue and you can control over the WiFi or with the latest Bluetooth too, you can get wireless switches, sensors and dim and individual lights on or off.

Or he can just buy basic led bulbs and switch them on and off

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

As above if it was me I would simply fill in the existing holes, redrill to suit new downlighters. I like the Philips warm white LED lamps. If you want dimmable lamps you must ask for them as some are not designed to dim. Also the dimmer switch must be “leading edge” type that is suitable for dimming LED lamps. I would recommend MK dimmer switches. LED lamps do not generate much heat so fire risk is diminished. While you have the larger holes you can ensure that the insulation is kept back from the new lamps. Fire hoods can also be fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Hoagy

Advertisement