Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Nest Wifi / Eir ftth / F3000 modem

Options
  • 26-04-2021 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Does anyone know if Google Nest Wifi is difficult to use/ set up with Eir ftth and an F3000 modem?

I know Eir have their Smart Wifi hub but I think I'd prefer the Google alternative.

Thanks alot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

It will work with Eir (and any broadband supplier with a free LAN port on their router/modem and is easy to setup

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭hwr5ytu356

That's brilliant, thanks alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Technophobe

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    It will work with Eir (and any broadband supplier with a free LAN port on their router/modem and is easy to setup

Hope I'm not hijacking

So you just hook the Google Nest into the Eircom router and off you go?
    I have a F2000 router so presumably it's the same..
    I also have the other LAN ports used so again presuming it's fine to continue to use these on the Eircom router alongside the Google nest?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

Hope I'm not hijacking

So you just hook the Google Nest into the Eircom router and off you go?
    I have a F2000 router so presumably it's the same..
    I also have the other LAN ports used so again presuming it's fine to continue to use these on the Eircom router alongside the Google nest?

Thanks
    You will not get the full benefits of Mesh unless you operate your entire home on one WiFi network. If using Nest, you will need another Nest device to cover the F2000 zone, and then switch off WiFi in the F2000, using it only as a modem/router.

If you allow different WiFi zones to exist in your home (F2000 and Nest), then you cannot do clean handoffs of mobile devices moving from one zone to the other (802.11R Roaming).

F2000 doesn't offer direct Mesh compatibility. Eir's F3000 does. However, you would need to select Eir's own access points (Smart WiFi Hub),

You will not get the full benefits of Mesh unless you operate your entire home on one WiFi network. If using Nest, you will need another Nest device to cover the F2000 zone, and then switch off WiFi in the F2000, using it only as a modem/router.

If you allow different WiFi zones to exist in your home (F2000 and Nest), then you cannot do clean handoffs of mobile devices moving from one zone to the other (802.11R Roaming).

F2000 doesn't offer direct Mesh compatibility. Eir's F3000 does. However, you would need to select Eir's own access points (Smart WiFi Hub),

Interesting that you say that about Eir F3000.
    They are trying to get me to renew contract and I told them I would only do so if F2000 router was changed

So here is an issue that probably has a few solutions if you can advise pls..
    So I have a large enough house with router in office connected to switch which has terminals for Cat 6 points from most rooms in the house..
    Two areas I would like to improve wifi coverage in without changing network SSID if possible.
    One is upstairs where I have access to a number of Cat 6 wall points.. Also once I step out onto my patio wifi drops considerably so makes it a pain to select songs on SONOS APP on phone due to low or no WiFi coverage.
    Doors to patio are a bit away from office..But one positive I think is that there is a spare Cat 6 ethernet point just inside the patio doors that could be used for a solution I hope..
    Any ideas??

Should I just renew with Eir and make sure I get a F3000 modem and fork out for a Eir Smart wifi hub??

• Advertisement

Interesting that you say that about Eir F3000.
    They are trying to get me to renew contract and I told them I would only do so if F2000 router was changed

So here is an issue that probably has a few solutions if you can advise pls..
    So I have a large enough house with router in office connected to switch which has terminals for Cat 6 points from most rooms in the house..
    Two areas I would like to improve wifi coverage in without changing network SSID if possible.
    One is upstairs where I have access to a number of Cat 6 wall points.. Also once I step out onto my patio wifi drops considerably so makes it a pain to select songs on SONOS APP on phone due to low or no WiFi coverage.
    Doors to patio are a bit away from office..But one positive I think is that there is a spare Cat 6 ethernet point just inside the patio doors that could be used for a solution I hope..
    Any ideas??

Should I just renew with Eir and make sure I get a F3000 modem and fork out for a Eir Smart wifi hub??
    If you have Cat 6 you should definitely try to use it to extend coverage. I haven't used the F3000 Smart Hub myself, but I am assuming that like other Mesh systems it has the option of backhauling to the F3000 using Cat 6 instead of wireless. You might want to check this with Eir - but assuming this is the case, you will need one less access point if you go with the F3000 & Smart-Hub than if you go with a 3rd party mesh system such as Nest, TPLink Deco etc.

Regarding getting the WiFi to go through your patio door - this can be challenging if your patio door is A-Rated double or triple glazing. A-rated glazing has a metallic layer which reflects heat (and radio waves). If you have an AP very close to the door, and you are trying to shoot the WiFi straight outside, you might stand the best chance. Personally I use Ubiquiti Unifi Access Points. They have an outdoor version which is great if you have Cat-6 outside. Unifi has the added advantage that you can power it over Ethernet (POE), so there is no need for mains power at each point. I disable the WiFi in my Eir router, just using it as a router. The Unifi does all the WiFi with a single SSID throughout the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

For others - don't get hung up on needing Cat6 cabling as a network requirement to cable mesh units together. Cat5e will run a gigabit just fine but even then your mesh will doubtfully ever need that bandwidth.

If you have Cat 6 you should definitely try to use it to extend coverage. I haven't used the F3000 Smart Hub myself, but I am assuming that like other Mesh systems it has the option of backhauling to the F3000 using Cat 6 instead of wireless. You might want to check this with Eir - but assuming this is the case, you will need one less access point if you go with the F3000 & Smart-Hub than if you go with a 3rd party mesh system such as Nest, TPLink Deco etc.

Regarding getting the WiFi to go through your patio door - this can be challenging if your patio door is A-Rated double or triple glazing. A-rated glazing has a metallic layer which reflects heat (and radio waves). If you have an AP very close to the door, and you are trying to shoot the WiFi straight outside, you might stand the best chance. Personally I use Ubiquiti Unifi Access Points. They have an outdoor version which is great if you have Cat-6 outside. Unifi has the added advantage that you can power it over Ethernet (POE), so there is no need for mains power at each point. I disable the WiFi in my Eir router, just using it as a router. The Unifi does all the WiFi with a single SSID throughout the house.

Thanks for the detailed reply..Checked the pictures of the EIR Smart Hub and it has 2 Ethernet ports as far as I can see.So I could plug this Smart Hub into an Ethernet point at the doors to the patio and this should extend coverage if I am thinking correctly??
    Not too pushed about doors being open as mainly want coverage when I am out there and if I'm out there, it's probably warm enough to have doors open 😀 it is Ireland after all 😀

Had read about Ubiquiti alright so if I go that route I will be looking for you!!

Thanks for the detailed reply..Checked the pictures of the EIR Smart Hub and it has 2 Ethernet ports as far as I can see.So I could plug this Smart Hub into an Ethernet point at the doors to the patio and this should extend coverage if I am thinking correctly??
    Not too pushed about doors being open as mainly want coverage when I am out there and if I'm out there, it's probably warm enough to have doors open �� it is Ireland after all ��

Had read about Ubiquiti alright so if I go that route I will be looking for you!!

Yes - you should be able to extend the coverage by plugging the Eir Smart hub into an Ethernet point near your patio doors, and connecting the other end of the Cat-6 cable to the F3000 modem. Most people using these devices don't have the luxury of Cat-6 cable, and instead use the WiFi mesh feature to connect the two devices. As I mentioned, I haven't used the Eir Smart Hub myself - but it is normal for these mesh devices to allow the use of Ethernet or WiFi interconnection. The second Ethernet port is if you need to connect any wired device locally, or if you wanted to daisy-chain additional access points.

Update
    Went with the Eir hub, 2 units for 169.
    Very happy with the coverage and speeds. 1.2gps on the phone in a spot I could barely get coverage before.
    I can now do things comfortably at the limits of the
    Router alone.

• Advertisement

hwr5ytu356 wrote: »
    Update
    Very happy with the coverage and speeds. 1.2gps on the phone in a spot I could barely get coverage before.
    Router alone.

Thanks for update..so did you connect into into the Router via Ethernet and then just place the other one somewhere and connect via wireless?

Thanks for update..so did you connect into into the Router via Ethernet and then just place the other one somewhere and connect via wireless?

Both get linked to the modem by pressing the wps button whilst beside it. Then just move them wherever you want. In my case one us upstairs and the 2nd in the back of the house. There is no ethernet connection to the modem involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭alec76

What kind of phone you have and what service do you use for speed measuring?
    1.2 Gbps seems too good to be true, especially without Ethernet backhaul and no residential package available above 1Gbps ?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Mikiek14

alec76 wrote: »
    1.2 Gbps seems too good to be true, especially without Ethernet backhaul and no residential package available above 1Gbps ?

I remember fast.com giving false speeds many times.

alec76 wrote: »

Samsung galaxy s10.
    The speed is mentioned when I look at the Internet connection in the WiFi settings on the phone.
    I'm not technical so maybe that isn't the true speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Mikiek14

Samsung galaxy s10.
    The speed is mentioned when I look at the Internet connection in the WiFi settings on the phone.
    I'm not technical so maybe that isn't the true speed.

Thats only the link speed which is theoretical. You should probably do a proper test using speed test or another internet connection tester.

Mikiek14 wrote: »
    Thats only the link speed which is theoretical. You should probably do a proper test using speed test or another internet connection tester.

Gotcha. I tried a few different sites from my phone and it averages 450mbps down and +100 up.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Triboro

Update
    Router alone.

Did you buy them in one of the eir shops?

Triboro wrote: »
    Did you buy them in one of the eir shops?

Hi,
    yes I did (online), the delivery was only a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭obi604

Hi,
    yes I did (online), the delivery was only a couple of days.

is the smart wifi hub any cheaper if you add it to a totally new customer order, or is is it 99 euro regardless

If one has an F3000 modem, is it a no brainer to get the Eir smart wifi hub versus a third party solution like TP link etc (For wifi blackspots)

• Advertisement

obi604 wrote: »
    is the smart wifi hub any cheaper if you add it to a totally new customer order, or is is it 99 euro regardless

If one has an F3000 modem, is it a no brainer to get the Eir smart wifi hub versus a third party solution like TP link etc (For wifi blackspots)

It does seem like a no-brainer to use the Eir Smart WiFi hub, if you have an Eir F3000 modem. It looks like the price is €99 if you buy one. They have a discounted price if you need to buy two or three (€85 or €80 each). Including the F3000, this would give you three or four access points, which you might not need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭poker--addict

i notice the nest wifi points do not have an ethernet cable. I am not an IT guru. It strikes me that this is a huge negative? I am keen to link my PC into a powerline or mesh system using an ethernet cable for max stability and speed. Am i missing something though? Am i over estimating the benefit of a wired connection between the points and PC?

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭poker--addict

That is an option albeit extra cost. But thank you.

😎

You could use Ethernet Backhaul with this option,well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

i notice the nest wifi points do not have an ethernet cable. I am not an IT guru. It strikes me that this is a huge negative? I am keen to link my PC into a powerline or mesh system using an ethernet cable for max stability and speed. Am i missing something though? Am i over estimating the benefit of a wired connection between the points and PC?

Some of the systems have a specific band just for the back haul.

Not sure if nest has this.

Either way Ethernet would be the best job if it's possible.

limnam wrote: »

Not sure if nest has this.

It doesn’t have any.
    But it is 4x4 MIMO access point which is great , even it is only WIFI 5 system.
    If you connect points with Ethernet then all 4x4 MIMO will be available to the clients. So , for instance ,you will be able to reach 500 mbps wireless on TWO phones at the SAME time.Or , if you have top of the range MacBook PRO ( 3x3 MIMO device) you could hit almost 800-900 mbps wireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 babyblackie

Just wondering would the Google Nest wifi addition work well with Eir Mobile Broadband? We have 2 Nest Audio devices already and really need to iron out the blackspots in the house.

Next option is to buy the TP-Link Mesh system.

Advertisement