Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing Shaving/Light unit with an LED Mirror.

Options
  • 26-04-2021 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭

As the thread title suggests, I'm trying to replacing an existing Shaving/Light unit with an LED Mirror.

Existing wire going to the shaver light: Black, Red and bare Copper (neutral?) wires.

LED Mirror: Blue & Brown wires.

Is this something I could undertake myself? and if so, would a simple case of connecting the wires and wrapping them in insulation tape suffice? My knowledge of electricity is that it's dangerous :pac:

A Sparky supposed to call 3 weeks in a row now and keeps putting me off so want to get it sorted asap.

It's not designed to be a puzzle, surely it can't be that hard?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

From a legal perspective electrical work in a bathroom can only be carried out by a Registered Electrical Contractor.

Using insulation tape to join mains voltage cables is not permitted. The bare copper wire is most likely an earth connection. This should be sleeved.

I would strongly recommend that you get a qualified electrician to do this work. It should be simple enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭lemonkey

2011 wrote: »
    From a legal perspective electrical work in a bathroom can only be carried out by a Registered Electrical Contractor.

Using insulation tape to join mains voltage cables is not permitted. The bare copper wire is most likely an earth connection. This should be sleeved.

I would strongly recommend that you get a qualified electrician to do this work. It should be simple enough.

Damn your sensible post!

Thanks for the reply. Back to the waiting game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭meercat

lemonkey wrote: »

A Sparky supposed to call 3 weeks in a row now and keeps putting me off so want to get it sorted asap.

If a rec calls to fit a new light then to comply with current regulations he has to ensure that it is rcd protected. He also has to provide a Cert 3 for this. The work involved and cost to you is possibly prohibitive so a lot of electrical contractors will avoid this type of work.

Advertisement