Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue Alternative for Spotlights ?

Options
  • 25-04-2021 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Looked at the Philips Hue spotlights and liked them more for their build quality than anything but they are way too expensive in my view .

Lowest price I could see for 1X Hue and 1 extension spotlight comes to around 185 euros . This excludes the Bridge / cables which is another 50/60 e.

Can someone suggest alternative to Hue spotlights which are equally well made ?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Yes, simply buy a spotlight make by someone else (such as Robus) and switch a Philips Hue lamp in it. I have found that I only really use the white colors. The Philips Hue white ambience lamps cost far less than the colored ones. Also only one bridge is required for the entire house.

Are you sure you don’t mean down lighters ?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭galaxy12

2011 wrote: »
    Yes, simply buy a spotlight make by someone else (such as Robus) and switch a Philips Hue lamp in it. I have found that I only really use the white colors. The Philips Hue white ambience lamps cost far less than the colored ones. Also only one bridge is required for the entire house.

Are you sure you don’t mean down lighters ?

Thanks .
    What I was looking for is the
    "Philips Hue White and Colour Ambiance LED Garden Spotlight" .

These are metal and have spikes so would have been ideal when placed next to the trees at the back .The other products I see are also similar minus the zigbee/automation but not sure how long would they last ...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

galaxy12 wrote: »
    Thanks .
    What I was looking for is the
    "Philips Hue White and Colour Ambiance LED Garden Spotlight" .

These are metal and have spikes so would have been ideal when placed next to the trees at the back .The other products I see are also similar minus the zigbee/automation but not sure how long would they last ...

Ah, ok.

In my experience metal = something that will rust (even if well painted or powder coated). Therefore in my opinion a plastic light fitting mounted above ground level is best. Black is quite discreet.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Is it just a spike light you want?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Outdoor-Garden-Spike-Ground-ZLC01BS/dp/B074VC93LW/ref=asc_df_B074VC93LW/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309808815998&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7311947015949946264&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007850&hvtargid=pla-697064962559&psc=1

Above is an aluminium unit
    I don't know if the hue lamp or cheaper ikea zigbee lamp will fit in this as they are a little but longer than a regular lamp. One of the reviews seems to have pictures showing colour changing lamps

Anyway search for spike light and gu10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭wait4me

Don't know about suppliers in Ireland, but cpc.co.uk have "plastic" spike lights. I have a few of them already and another few, which cpc shipped last week, stuck with UPS in their German hub.

OT: Anybody order anything from cpc recently? Brexit seems to be causing their couriers, UPS some difficulties which cpc says it cannot resolve hence the week-delay in my delivery.

• Advertisement

@Stoner: I used similar spike lights before, they dissolved like a Disprin over a very short period of time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭galaxy12

Stoner wrote: »
    Is it just a spike light you want?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Outdoor-Garden-Spike-Ground-ZLC01BS/dp/B074VC93LW/ref=asc_df_B074VC93LW/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309808815998&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7311947015949946264&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007850&hvtargid=pla-697064962559&psc=1

Above is an aluminium unit
    I don't know if the hue lamp or cheaper ikea zigbee lamp will fit in this as they are a little but longer than a regular lamp. One of the reviews seems to have pictures showing colour changing lamps

Anyway search for spike light and gu10

Thanks . Decided to go with Hue in the end and got the bridge as well to be able to connect...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭wait4me

Thanks for letting us know. Nice to hear the final outcome of a thread

Advertisement