Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which portable air conditioner?

Options
  • 25-04-2021 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of getting one. Has anyone any recommendations?

Its for rooms in a dormer bungalow. There are two rooms that could benefit from it. But there is no requirement for a fixed unit in either room.

Having read up on it, I realise that a unit venting to the outside is required. The non vent ones don't seem to really cool.

I plan on running an extraction hose/duct from the soffit to the interior wall (it's a dormer) and putting some type of wall plate in both rooms that would take the hose from the portable unit.

Anyone done similar? Any recommendations on a competitive supplier?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,897 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Word of warning, running a mobile AC unit is very noisy. Bought one a couple of years ago. Chose the quietest one possible. On the lowest setting you won't have a chance of listening to the TV or having a conversation without raising your voice. Used it three times and sold it on. Permanent fixed ones are the way to go

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Word of warning, running a mobile AC unit is very noisy. Bought one a couple of years ago. Chose the quietest one possible. On the lowest setting you won't have a chance of listening to the TV or having a conversation without raising your voice. Used it three times and sold it on. Permanent fixed ones are the way to go

Thanks for the feedback. Do you mind me asking, what make/model did you get & where did you source it ?I'd heard that alright - that the fixed ones have the noisy part outside on the exterior wall. They're always going to be quieter.

But, given that I'm in a dormer, my interior walls aren't high - a wall mounted fixed unit would be at less than 6ft high. Would look weird mounted on sloping ceiling too. I know the ceiling 'cartridge' type ones are an option but I think it's more work than I'd want to be doing.

I'd definitely be looking at the lowest dB one possible. It would only be running occasionally - usually towards middle of the day on the occasions that the exterior roof gets particularly hot.

The other clincher, for me, is that the room(s), in question are not that big. We're talking double bedroom size. A fixed Aircon unit might be overkill.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭BPH

Following up on this, wondering what people have also. Last year during the hot spell the babies room was hitting high 20's. What do people get etc. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Vision 3.1. Its not portable but is excellent for a room.

You need to duct them to the outside. The window aircons like you see in America will constantly sound like there is an airport in your room because they have to move so much air due to the inefficiency of them.

Advertisement