Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lawn Fertaliser recommendations

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Any agri store would have some.
    I put beet fertiliser on this year. Has a good mix of minor elements

Any agri store would have some.
    I put beet fertiliser on this year. Has a good mix of minor elements

Thanks, I can't seem to find a granular one, all of them seem to be a powdery one not suitable for the agrifab spreader.

The lawn is is very poor this year probably because it was so wet during the Winter, the top is green but if I cut it lower down is very brown almost dead looking. It's a sorry looking sight anyway lol.

Mad_Lad wrote: »
    Thanks, I can't seem to find a granular one, all of them seem to be a powdery one not suitable for the agrifab spreader.

The lawn is is very poor this year probably because it was so wet during the Winter, the top is green but if I cut it lower down is very brown almost dead looking. It's a sorry looking sight anyway lol.

Scarify and then spread the fert. Problem with farming fert is that it's in 50 kg bags. Not an issue for me. Also spread some granular lime

Scarify and then spread the fert. Problem with farming fert is that it's in 50 kg bags. Not an issue for me. Also spread some granular lime

Is the farming fert ok for a lawn ?

Is the farming fert ok for a lawn ?

Perfect. All your getting different in a lawn fert is a brand name and higher price.

50kg cost me 22e

• Advertisement

Perfect. All your getting different in a lawn fert is a brand name and higher price.

50kg cost me 22e

Brilliant, have you got a link to the one you use ?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Pious14

Brilliant, have you got a link to the one you use ?

I use 7-6-17. Spread it tonight with rain forecast for Tuesday. Works well for my lawn as I have good growth so just get the green. Has sulphur also which is good for moss (not good if you have gods though).

If your lawn is really bad 10-10-20 would be good but could result in extreme growth and a lot of cutting. Just ensure you don’t over spread

Pious14 wrote: »
    I use 7-6-17. Spread it tonight with rain forecast for Tuesday. Works well for my lawn as I have good growth so just get the green. Has sulphur also which is good for moss (not good if you have gods though).

If your lawn is really bad 10-10-20 would be good but could result in extreme growth and a lot of cutting. Just ensure you don’t over spread

Thanks, last year I put the fert on and it didn't rain despite met eireann saying it would and I don't think it did the lawn too good because it only rained a small bit a few days later, this time I'll wait until I smell it coming lol.

Last few Aprils have been very dry, I remember the April Showers, torrential downpours but that seems to have changed the last few years, I just looked at the hydrometer and I can't remember the last time I saw the humidity below 40% inside!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Zardoz

50kg cost me 22e

Not necessarily.

The better fertilisers have a slow release of nutrients so as well as giving an initial dose they release the nutrients over 2-5 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Would it be okay to scarify a lawn at this time of year? I have it in a couple of years now however it appears to be slowly deteriorating instead of improving. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Pious14

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Would it be okay to scarify a lawn at this time of year? I have it in a couple of years now however it appears to be slowly deteriorating instead of improving. Thanks.

I done mine last week, then aerated and fertilised. Starting to come on. Be better to do it now with more wet weather

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Which farming fertiliser would be best for a lawn? The local agri supplier (Drummonds) has a bewildering selection. I just want to thicken and green up the aging lawn a bit and give it a fighting chance against moss.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Which farming fertiliser would be best for a lawn? The local agri supplier (Drummonds) has a bewildering selection. I just want to thicken and green up the aging lawn a bit and give it a fighting chance against moss.

7-6-17 is the best option.

Zardoz wrote: »
    7-6-17 is the best option.

Where's the best place to get that who will deliver ?

How much would you need roughly for 1 acre including house, yard etc ?

Where's the best place to get that who will deliver ?

How much would you need roughly for 1 acre including house, yard etc ?

Any agri store should have it.

25g/ square metre would be the normal dosage.
    Think they come in 25kg bags so a bag will do 1000 square metres.
    An acre is 4000 square metres.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Boots234

I will be getting rid of creeping buttercup in our lawn by chemical means but will be left with large patches of bare ground. After putting grass seed down and this begins to grow what fertilizer should I use to help it? I would typically use 7-6-17 for the existing grass but would this be harmful to new grass?

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭bobster453

Been years since I planted a lawn but afaik you do not fertilise new lawns until at least a year old to avoid permanent damage.

Advertisement