Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie to caravanning looking for stuff!

Options
  • 25-04-2021 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭

Hi everyone,
    I'm new to the whole caravanning scene. I've always wanted to try it out. I've camped using tents loads of times (wild and campsites) and absolutely love it and plan to do plenty more of it too. Bought a caravan at the end of last July. With restrictions in place it prevented me from being able to travel with it. This gave me the time to do the little bit of work that was needed. Which wasn't much thankfully. I'm not really into the state of the art stuff-home comforts stuff when it comes to camping (I think too much of that can take away from the purpose of camping in the first place). So anyway I stayed in the caravan whenever I could and feel like I got to know the ins and outs of how most things operate. I had EHU for awhile but we can manage for a good few days without it. Power packs fully charged for devices, AA battery operated string lights around the interior, 20 litre water tank and gas. Happy out as they say!
    But now to be ready for the road and campsites I'd need or like the following:
    Toilet cassette, leisure battery, and an open sided canopy. If anyone has or knows of where the best place to get these I'd be very grateful for your help and advice. I've been in touch with Charles Camping regarding the toilet cassette and they've been very very helpful with information.
    It's just that my budget is quite limited and that's why I'd been willing to buy used products.
    I hope it's ok to post this here.
    Thank you all in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

spoke2cun wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    I'm new to the whole caravanning scene. I've always wanted to try it out. I've camped using tents loads of times (wild and campsites) and absolutely love it and plan to do plenty more of it too. Bought a caravan at the end of last July. With restrictions in place it prevented me from being able to travel with it. This gave me the time to do the little bit of work that was needed. Which wasn't much thankfully. I'm not really into the state of the art stuff-home comforts stuff when it comes to camping (I think too much of that can take away from the purpose of camping in the first place). So anyway I stayed in the caravan whenever I could and feel like I got to know the ins and outs of how most things operate. I had EHU for awhile but we can manage for a good few days without it. Power packs fully charged for devices, AA battery operated string lights around the interior, 20 litre water tank and gas. Happy out as they say!
    But now to be ready for the road and campsites I'd need or like the following:
    Toilet cassette, leisure battery, and an open sided canopy. If anyone has or knows of where the best place to get these I'd be very grateful for your help and advice. I've been in touch with Charles Camping regarding the toilet cassette and they've been very very helpful with information.
    It's just that my budget is quite limited and that's why I'd been willing to buy used products.
    I hope it's ok to post this here.
    Thank you all in advance.

Keep an eye on adverts.ie, done deal and Facebook marketplace but be aware that everything like this has been experiencing price inflation due to demand from covid restrictions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭db

Check with Lisburn caravan breakers. You won't find many selling toilet cassettes or batteries second hand. Not many use pullout awnings on caravans but you might get a framed awning on done deal that you could use without the sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

You'll find a few casette toilets on donedeal alright

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I picked up a Thetford Porta Potti 345 from Amazon Germany. Only cost me €50 + €13 delivery. Same item was £69 on Amazon UK and that was before any taxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

Try facebook, a number of Buy&Sell groups which have a loads of stuff plus nice people on it not trying to screw you, well the majority anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

People don't tend to wild camp in caravans, I before lockdown and kids I used to do it all the time in a camper and I've never seen it done except in Easkey, even that's stopped now. If you are on camp sites do you need the extra cassette. A free standing gazebo would be as cheap or cheaper than an awning and as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭spoke2cun

Gazebo, good thinking SpaceHopper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭niloc1951

When you say you're looking for a toilet cassette is there a toilet already fitted and you just need the cassette.
    If there is no toilet already fitted fitting a cassette type toilet from scratch is a fairly big and expensive job and you might be better off going for something LIKE THIS or LIKE THIS, there're also cheaper options from about €60

• Advertisement
Advertisement