Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Rain water

  • 24-04-2021 11:18pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭ Carlowgirl


    Hi I need some urgent advise please. We bought a house three years ago. There is a long term tenant next door. She was complaining about rain water that slides of our boiler house into her garden patio. I presume it puddles a little but it's rain for god a sake. The boiler house roof is slanted and has no gutter on her side. It's been there forty years. When we bought the house there was no issue with boundaries etc. She's been whinging about this on and off. The rain upsets her.
    Today she was putting up an eight foot fence onto our six foot wall and I had to go and ask her why she didnt speak to us about the fence as you need planning for anything over six foot.
    She said I would have to put up guttering on the slanted boiler roof as it would rot her new fence and I was like wow you didbt even speak to us about this fence and your welcome to put up guttering on your side and she said no you have to do it. Like we don't even have access to it now.
    Anyway I'm nervous about this. Again she is a tenant. I don't even have the phone number of the house owner. I need to get my ducks in a row.
    I did ask a planning person before about this and they said as the shed is there forty years there is no issue but it was an unofficial query.
    My issue is she was puttting up an 8 ft fence without even mentioning it. She told me I would be putting up guttering on her side as the water would rot her new fence that she didnt even tell us about.
    I try and get her on with her but she's sickening. Anytime we power hose the house she ll complain about splashes. She ll sweep up the dirt from the power washing and throw it over our wall. She has no bin and throws ashes over another neighbour s wall. Does any one know if I'm responsible for the rain of the slanted roof. I wouldnt mind doing it out of courtesy but she has gone the wrong way about this. Plus not even telling us she was putting up a fence.
    I m Thinking if she mentions it agsin I'll say get the house owner to contact us and we'll talk to us. Like she is a tenant for god sake. If she had asked me nicely I would have done it.


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭ athlone573


    Carlowgirl wrote: »
    Hi I need some urgent advise please. We bought a house three years ago. There is a long term tenant next door. She was complaining about rain water that slides of our boiler house into her garden patio. I presume it puddles a little but it's rain for god a sake. The boiler house roof is slanted and has no gutter on her side. It's been there forty years. When we bought the house there was no issue with boundaries etc. She's been whinging about this on and off. The rain upsets her.
    Today she was putting up an eight foot fence onto our six foot wall and I had to go and ask her why she didnt speak to us about the fence as you need planning for anything over six foot.
    She said I would have to put up guttering on the slanted boiler roof as it would rot her new fence and I was like wow you didbt even speak to us about this fence and your welcome to put up guttering on your side and she said no you have to do it. Like we don't even have access to it now.
    Anyway I'm nervous about this. Again she is a tenant. I don't even have the phone number of the house owner. I need to get my ducks in a row.
    I did ask a planning person before about this and they said as the shed is there forty years there is no issue but it was an unofficial query.
    My issue is she was puttting up an 8 ft fence without even mentioning it. She told me I would be putting up guttering on her side as the water would rot her new fence that she didnt even tell us about.
    I try and get her on with her but she's sickening. Anytime we power hose the house she ll complain about splashes. She ll sweep up the dirt from the power washing and throw it over our wall. She has no bin and throws ashes over another neighbour s wall. Does any one know if I'm responsible for the rain of the slanted roof. I wouldnt mind doing it out of courtesy but she has gone the wrong way about this. Plus not even telling us she was putting up a fence.
    I m Thinking if she mentions it agsin I'll say get the house owner to contact us and we'll talk to us. Like she is a tenant for god sake. If she had asked me nicely I would have done it.

    In an ideal world you'd put up guttering and you'd come to some agreement about the fence, and not be spraying dirty water and moss into her garden. It's nice to be nice even if she is a tenant.


  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭ Carlowgirl


    athlone573 wrote: »
    In an ideal world you'd put up guttering and you'd come to some agreement about the fence, and not be spraying dirty water and moss into her garden. It's nice to be nice even if she is a tenant.

    She was here for years before she bought. It's maybe once a year we power hose the house abd some dirt might go over the wall that we cant see. No I won't put up the guttering for her. Not being bullied by some one that doesn't even have the decency to tell us they are putting up an illegal fence. I'd rather pay for a day in court


  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭ Carlowgirl


    Carlowgirl wrote: »
    She was here for years before we bought. It's maybe once a year we power hose the house abd some dirt might go over the wall that we cant see. No I won't put up the guttering for her. Not being bullied by some one that doesn't even have the decency to tell us they are putting up an illegal fence. I'd rather pay for a day in court
    she didn't complain to the previous owners that we know of. I never heard the likes of it. Thinking of moving. Cabt live beside sad nósy parkers.


  • Posts: 0 [Deleted User]


    Your rain water is causing a nuisance.
    Put up a gutter, why should she have to put up with it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,775 ✭✭✭ Effects


    Carlowgirl wrote: »
    Thinking of moving. Cabt live beside sad nósy parkers.

    The neighbours at your next place might be worse.
    Just put a simple gutter up, problem solved.


  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 43,673 Mod ✭✭✭✭ muffler


    Carlowgirl wrote: »
    She was here for years before she bought. It's maybe once a year we power hose the house abd some dirt might go over the wall that we cant see. No I won't put up the guttering for her. Not being bullied by some one that doesn't even have the decency to tell us they are putting up an illegal fence. I'd rather pay for a day in court
    From reading your posts I don't think I would like to have you as a neighbour.


  • Subscribers Posts: 36,574 ✭✭✭✭ sydthebeat


    Carlowgirl wrote: »
    Hi I need some urgent advise please. We bought a house three years ago. There is a long term tenant next door. She was complaining about rain water that slides of our boiler house into her garden patio. I presume it puddles a little but it's rain for god a sake. The boiler house roof is slanted and has no gutter on her side. It's been there forty years. When we bought the house there was no issue with boundaries etc. She's been whinging about this on and off. The rain upsets her.
    Today she was putting up an eight foot fence onto our six foot wall and I had to go and ask her why she didnt speak to us about the fence as you need planning for anything over six foot.
    She said I would have to put up guttering on the slanted boiler roof as it would rot her new fence and I was like wow you didbt even speak to us about this fence and your welcome to put up guttering on your side and she said no you have to do it. Like we don't even have access to it now.
    Anyway I'm nervous about this. Again she is a tenant. I don't even have the phone number of the house owner. I need to get my ducks in a row.
    I did ask a planning person before about this and they said as the shed is there forty years there is no issue but it was an unofficial query.
    My issue is she was puttting up an 8 ft fence without even mentioning it. She told me I would be putting up guttering on her side as the water would rot her new fence that she didnt even tell us about.
    I try and get her on with her but she's sickening. Anytime we power hose the house she ll complain about splashes. She ll sweep up the dirt from the power washing and throw it over our wall. She has no bin and throws ashes over another neighbour s wall. Does any one know if I'm responsible for the rain of the slanted roof. I wouldnt mind doing it out of courtesy but she has gone the wrong way about this. Plus not even telling us she was putting up a fence.
    I m Thinking if she mentions it agsin I'll say get the house owner to contact us and we'll talk to us. Like she is a tenant for god sake. If she had asked me nicely I would have done it.

    so much inaccuracies and plain wrongness in this post.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,294 ✭✭✭ the_pen_turner


    What size is the boiler house


  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭ Carlowgirl


    Effects wrote: »
    The neighbours at your next place might be worse.
    Just put a simple gutter up, problem solved.

    Thanks. I contacted planning dept and sent pictures. They said I don't have to do anything. I'm thinking of doing it just to shut her up. I'm annoyed at the he way she told me to do it. I noticed her own shed is hanging over her neighbours wall like actually over their boundary but there is noone living in the house. So she's complainijh to me about less than two foot of a roof and her own shed is actually in a worse position over her neighbours. I'm in two minds as if I do thst where will it stop. Will I get more demands. I've been officially told I don't have to do anything and it should be the house owner that contacts me. I don't care if she stops talking to me because she is a gossip so it's no skin of my nose.


  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭ Carlowgirl


    muffler wrote: »
    From reading your posts I don't think I would like to have you as a neighbour.

    Really how do you know me.. So well to judge me. We are good neighbours. She is a tenant she should go through her landlord about this. I got official advise and I can't put up an eave shoot on her side legally. She is welcome to do it if she wants. The roof is just over a foot long it is not causing problems. Why didn't she complain to the previous owners. She is having covid parties all through lockdown and we didn't complain her so I don't appreciate your comment about being a bad neighbour. We are respect ful law abiding neighbours. If I give in to this demand where is it going to stop.
    Try coming home from a hard day s work to music blaring.. Try sitting there having your dinner while your neighbour brings her family around to them your new back door with all hanging over the back wall looking in your windows. . Woukd nt any normal person say hey I just want to show some people your back door. You live there for a week and come back to me. Not to mention the arguing with the partner..


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭ Carlowgirl


    What size is the boiler house

    It is less than two metres probably a metre and a half. It's there forty years. If I had put it up I would deal with it but we didn't put it up. I think I said two feet by accident in my previous post


  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭ Carlowgirl


    Her chimney goes out through my house. It is a terraced house. We don't say anything about that. These houses were built before planning regulations so if we start trying to rectify all the issues now it would never stop. If her chimney goes on fire it's in my house but I don't complain. A little give and take. I'm not a bad neighbour. I was brought up to mention anything to neighbours like putting up a fence etc. She is a law onto herself. There is no issue with the boiler house. She is ocd and cuts the grass with a scissors. Nothing could please her. If I put up the drain pipe they ll be something else wrong. She has blocked it with the new fence now anyway so I can't even access it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭ Deeec


    Carlowgirl wrote: »
    Her chimney goes out through my house. It is a terraced house. We don't say anything about that. These houses were built before planning regulations so if we start trying to rectify all the issues now it would never stop. If her chimney goes on fire it's in my house but I don't complain. A little give and take. I'm not a bad neighbour. I was brought up to mention anything to neighbours like putting up a fence etc. She is a law onto herself. There is no issue with the boiler house. She is ocd and cuts the grass with a scissors. Nothing could please her. If I put up the drain pipe they ll be something else wrong. She has blocked it with the new fence now anyway so I can't even access it.

    A chimney built in a house isnt a nuisance. Rainwater is running off your shed onto her patio. She has a valid problem and according to your post has raised the issue before. It wouldnt be expensive for you to put up guttering so just do it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭ Carlowgirl


    Deeec wrote: »
    A chimney built in a house isnt a nuisance. Rainwater is running off your shed onto her patio. She has a valid problem and according to your post has raised the issue before. It wouldnt be expensive for you to put up guttering so just do it.

    It is an issue if the chimney goes on fire its in my house. Other neighbours have blocked up neighbours chimneys for that reason. I'm Not onto her asking her if she keeps it cleaned. I have gotten official advise I cannot put up the eave shoot on her side legally and also can't do it without speaking to her landlord. There are procedures people have to follow here. I got the advice. I told her before we bought the house to take it up before the sale went through and she did nt but she is demanding it now. If I put it up I'm in the wrong with the house owner. Any normal person woukd contact the house owner. I have to work in a hospital and come home and listen to parties next door which is a complete kick in the face to both me and my partner but we don't mention it. Also she always whinge a to me about it and never says a word to my partner. She never raised it with the previous owners. She just whinges about everything and everyone it's toxic.


  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭ Carlowgirl


    It's not even a shed its a little boiler house. I also contacted the engineer who did our boundary check he said he was working on a house where a neighbour had complained about a similar issue but it was a really large shed. The outcome was thst the complaining neighbour put up an eave shoot on their side of the wall. The other neighbour wasn't allowed to put it up on their property. God its a thing of nothing. I wish I had all the time in the world to watch rain drops. Her own shed is draining into her neighbours with no eave shoot.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭ Deeec


    Carlowgirl wrote: »
    It is an issue if the chimney goes on fire its in my house. Other neighbours have blocked up neighbours chimneys for that reason. I'm Not onto her asking her if she keeps it cleaned. I have gotten official advise I cannot put up the eave shoot on her side legally and also can't do it without speaking to her landlord. There are procedures people have to follow here. I got the advice. I told her before we bought the house to take it up before the sale went through and she did nt but she is demanding it now. If I put it up I'm in the wrong with the house owner. Any normal person woukd contact the house owner. I have to work in a hospital and come home and listen to parties next door which is a complete kick in the face to both me and my partner but we don't mention it. Also she always whinge a to me about it and never says a word to my partner. She never raised it with the previous owners. She just whinges about everything and everyone it's toxic.

    You seem to like creating problems. All you have to do is ask her for the Landlords contact details ( or somebody else on the road surely knows who owns the house). Then contact the landlord and ask permission - Im sure they wont have an issue. Then put up the gutter and she can quit moaning.

    Also the chimney ( if you see it as such a big issue ) raise that with the landlord to. This is not the tenents issue.


  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭ Carlowgirl


    My dog peed in her garden and I offered to clean it up and bought her a gift when she calls him in herself and feeds him her scraps cos she doesn't have a bin. I've asked her not to feed him. I'm not a bad neighbour. She put ashes in our bin and it went on fire. We didn't say anything to keep the peace. I'm just not giving in to bullying demands. She coukd have asked me to do it instead of demanding


  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭ Carlowgirl


    Deeec wrote: »
    You seem to like creating problems. All you have to do is ask her for the Landlords contact details ( or somebody else on the road surely knows who owns the house). Then contact the landlord and ask permission - Im sure they wont have an issue. Then put up the gutter and she can quit moaning.

    Also the chimney ( if you see it as such a big issue ) raise that with the landlord to. This is not the tenents issue.

    What part of the official advise do people not understand. I can't access it now it is blocked off
    I can't legally enter her yard to attach an eave shoot. I woukd be more than willing to talm to the owner and come to an arrangement. It's not my place to track him down. She coukd contact him and get him to contact us. I have been told there is no issue with the boiler shed. It is small and its there a long time. Her own shed is bigger and she has no problem draining it onto the neighbours next to her. It's just demanding. It ll never stop. I'm.not creating this problem. She is. There is no legal problem with the boiler house. The people thst get paid to maje these decisions told me so.


  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭ Carlowgirl


    Why should I go to the bother for someone that can't fix their own shed. Can't get a bin. Can't abide my covid restrictions. Argues constantly with their partner creating noise nuisance. OK. I've decided if the owner comtacts me about this I will agree to do it. If he doesn't I'm not mentioning it and I'm abiding by the official advice I received not to attach an eave shoot on some ones property.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭ Deeec


    Carlowgirl wrote: »
    Why should I go to the bother for someone that can't fix their own shed. Can't get a bin. Can't abide my covid restrictions. Argues constantly with their partner creating noise nuisance. OK. I've decided if the owner comtacts me about this I will agree to do it. If he doesn't I'm not mentioning it and I'm abiding by the official advice I received not to attach an eave shoot on some ones property.

    Look Carlow Girl I think you are making a major issue out of a very small issue.
    You dont seem to understand the issue your neighbour has or want to fix the problem. I actually feel sorry for your neighbour.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭ mikehn


    Is this a wind up.:confused:


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭ con747


    People with nothing better to do.


  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭ Carlowgirl


    I find it really baffling that people are coming on here to tell me I'm. In in wrong. She blocked the bloody thing off with a fence she didn't tell.ud she was putting up. I have people telling me to go against official advise that I can't hack down her fence to stick it up from her side. I couldnt do it even if the fence wasn't there.
    I have people telling me I'm a bad neighbour when the most normal neighbourly thing woukd have been for her to say hey I'm putting up a fence woukd ye mind putting up an eave shoot but no she blocked it off and then demanded I some how magically get an eave shoot in there.apart from the fact she hasn't even spoken to the owner and put up an eight foot fence with no planning or discussion. Seriously there is enough negativity in the world. I said if the owner contacts me I'll deal with him in a cooperative way. This is just madness


  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭ Carlowgirl


    I find it really baffling that people are coming on here to tell me I'm. In in wrong. She blocked the bloody thing off with a fence she didn't tell.ud she was putting up. I have people telling me to go against official advise that I can't hack down her fence to stick it up from her side. I couldnt do it even if the fence wasn't there.
    I have people telling me I'm a bad neighbour when the most normal neighbourly thing woukd have been for her to say hey I'm putting up a fence woukd ye mind putting up an eave shoot but no she blocked it off and then demanded I some how magically get an eave shoot in there.apart from the fact she hasn't even spoken to the owner and put up an eight foot fence with no planning or discussion. Seriously there is enough negativity in the world. I said if the owner contacts me I'll deal with him in a cooperative way. This is just madness


  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 43,673 Mod ✭✭✭✭ muffler


    Carlowgirl wrote: »
    I find it really baffling that people are coming on here to tell me I'm. In in wrong.
    You're doing all that yourself.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭ con747


    A quote from the OP in first post "I m Thinking if she mentions it agsin I'll say get the house owner to contact us and we'll talk to us." Op just do what you yourself suggested and contact the owner. Otherwise if you don't want to listen to the advice given earlier and if you want to keep moaning about everything work away.


  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭ Carlowgirl


    con747 wrote: »
    A quote from the OP in first post "I m Thinking if she mentions it agsin I'll say get the house owner to contact us and we'll talk to us." Op just do what you yourself suggested and contact the owner. Otherwise if you don't want to listen to the advice given earlier and if you want to keep moaning about everything work away.

    How can I put on a drain pipe when the thing is blocked off now. Seriously for me to be told I'm a bad neighbour when the most appropriate thing for her to do would be to tell us she was putting up the fence and ask us to put it in before it wentbuo but she didbt. She put up the fence and then demanded I magically fit it in in. Why tell the woman in the house and not the man when it would most likely be the man doing the job. We could have sorted this before the bloody illegal fence went in. Yet I'm the baddy... Everything annoys this woman after this is ll be some thing else and I can't keep her to her demands


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭ con747


    Carlowgirl wrote: »
    How can I put on a drain pipe when the thing is blocked off now. Seriously for me to be told I'm a bad neighbour when the most appropriate thing for her to do would be to tell us she was putting up the fence and ask us to put it in before it wentbuo but she didbt. She put up the fence and then demanded I magically fit it in in. Why tell the woman in the house and not the man when it would most likely be the man doing the job. We could have sorted this before the bloody illegal fence went in. Yet I'm the baddy... Everything annoys this woman after this is ll be some thing else and I can't keep her to her demands

    Did you actually read my post. :confused:


  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭ Carlowgirl


    Oh dear god. The woman put up a fence illegally without discussing it and wants me to magically get an eave shoot in there now with no access. It is drops of rain of an area that is less than two metres. It s not flooding or poolimg. She throws her rubbish into the next door house as there is no one living there yet I'm thr baddy she also has her own shed that it doing the same on the other side. I've never had an issue with neighbours before. Where I come from someone woukd approach someone and ask them to put it up and explain they want to put up a fence. This woman is a law onto herself. I've gotten the official advice abd even queried it with the engineer thst did the boundary check. Both have told me to do nothing but if I want to she should do it from her side apart from the fact that it is now blocked off. I'm not being unreasonable I'm. Not a neighbour from hell. I mind my own business and take responsibility for my area. I don't get this territorial mentality over a few drops of rain. There hasn't been an issue with previous owners of this house and the owner of that house. It is just a personal issue of hers. But every thing annoys her. If someone paints a house a similar colour to hers it upsets her. She looks in people s car windows for some reason. She has covid parties. She argue s with her partner and everyone can hear. I'm not used to living around this. Everyone else is fine and we all mind our own business but are friendly. If someone came to me with an issue I'd be more than happy to help but I can't deal with someone ordering me to put up an eave shoot because the rain will Rot an illegal fence that want even discussed like any good neighbour would.


  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭ BryanF


    OP we’ll leave it there shall we


This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement