Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 2 and Virgin Media good (SNR 50%) but RTE 1 terrible. (SNR 0%)

Options
  • 24-04-2021 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,061 ✭✭✭✭

I have a terrestrial signal coming into a Optimuss OS3+ combo box.

RTE 2 and Virgin Media are working fine and the SNR is showing 50+%.
    However RTE 1 is is very terrible, breaking up all the time, with the SNR settling at about 23%.

Why is this ?
    They are both coming from the same antenna, on the same cable and going into the same port on the box.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

However RTE 1 is is very terrible, breaking up all the time, with the SNR showing as 0%.

Why is this ?
    They are both coming from the same antenna, on the same cable and going into the same port on the box.

They are probably on different "muxes" or frequencies and your aerial probably handles one better than the other. Which aerial do you have and which transmitter is it pointed towards? If there's a coloured plastic bung in the aerial what colour is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,061 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

athlone573 wrote: »
    They are probably on different "muxes" or frequencies and your aerial probably handles one better than the other. Which aerial do you have and which transmitter is it pointed towards? If there's a coloured plastic bung in the aerial what colour is it?
    Hi
    I can't get easy access to the aerial right now but I'm almost sure it's a red tip.

And it's pointing to Knockmoyle

Hi
    I can't get easy access to the aerial right now but I'm almost sure it's a red tip.

And it's pointing to Knockmoyle

Try swap it out for a wideband white tip, and have a good evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Elvis Hammond

Try swap it out for a wideband white tip ...

Why would you do that?

However RTE 1 is is very terrible, breaking up all the time, with the SNR settling at about 23%.

Why is this ?

It's just poor signal, with mux 2 (containing RTE1) being slightly worse off than mux 1, enough to push it over the 'digital cliff'.

Have you checked anything at all? Start with simple stuff, like the plug on the end of the aerial lead.

• Advertisement

Why would you do that?

Let me rephrase that
    Put your address into the coverage checker on saorview.ie and see what frequencies your local mast uses. They changed recently so a lot of other websites will be out of date.

Let me rephrase that
    Put your address into the coverage checker on saorview.ie and see what frequencies your local mast uses. They changed recently so a lot of other websites will be out of date.

That's not a rephrase, that's completely different advice.

Anyhow, a group A (red tip) aerial would be suitable for Knockmoyle since Sept. 2019, but it was in group C/D before that (the old freqs. being turned off March 2020, not exactly 'recently').

It's just poor signal, with mux 2 (containing RTE1) being slightly worse off than mux 1, enough to push it over the 'digital cliff'.

Have you checked anything at all? Start with simple stuff, like the plug on the end of the aerial lead.
    I've checked everything except the connection to the aerial itself, it's hard to get at right now.
    But it was the good signal for some channels and bad for others coming from the same aerial, cable, port etc. that was confusing.

That's not a rephrase, that's completely different advice.

Anyhow, a group A (red tip) aerial would be suitable for Knockmoyle since Sept. 2019, but it was in group C/D before that (the old freqs. being turned off March 2020, not exactly 'recently').
    Ok that is beginning to make some sense.
    I used to have the combo box in a different room on a less frequently used TV
    I never recall having this issue.
    I would have stopped using the combo box a few months ago.

I then got rid of Sky about 10 days ago and moved the combo box to the main TV, this issue appears on RTE 1.

So in the few months between using the combo box, the frequency changed.

So do I need a white tip ?

The frequencies changed over a year ago.

Find out for sure what kind of aerial you have now before talking about changing it.

Also, can you see which UHF channel nos. or frequencies you're getting Saorview on?

• Advertisement

I then got rid of Sky about 10 days ago and moved the combo box to the main TV, this issue appears on RTE 1.

I don't think you necessarily need a white tip but it would do no harm.
    As Mr. Hammond says check all the cables, connectors etc to make sure there's a good connection and no power cables running alongside. The fact that it works OK on RTE2 suggests you should be able to get it working on RTE1 also without major rewiring, fingers crossed.

The frequencies changed over a year ago.

Find out for sure what kind of aerial you have now before talking about changing it.

Also, can you see which UHF channel nos. or frequencies you're getting Saorview on?
    Ok, I misread March 2020 as March 2021

RTE 1 is giving a frequency of 498.0 MHz
    RTE 2 is 474.0 MHz

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Have you tried the box back in its original position where it worked?
    Does it still work there?

Have you tried the box back in its original position where it worked?
    Does it still work there?

Have not tried that.
    I could, but it would take a bit of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,731 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Ok, I misread March 2020 as March 2021

RTE 1 is giving a frequency of 498.0 MHz
    RTE 2 is 474.0 MHz

Those are the Mullaghanish frequencies.

http://www.2rn.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/2RN-DTT-Television-Transmission-Network-Sept-2019-Rev.1.2.pdf

Forget what I said about a wideband aerial.
    You should check though that your aerial is pointing in the right direction (if you can't see the antenna,a compass may be useful).

I think that worked.
    I did a manual scan on the Knockmoyle channels on that list and now RTE 1 etc are coming in much better, SNR 50+%.

Thanks to all for the help with this.

Good evening.

Was your aerial install a DIY job? Knockmoyle's signal is vertically polarised, & this isn't always taken into account by DIYers.

Was your aerial install a DIY job? Knockmoyle's signal is vertically polarised, & this isn't always taken into account by DIYers.
    Yes , it's up in the attic, lying down horizontal.

I suppose I should go up and stand it up vertical ?

Yes, the aerial elements should be vertical for Knockmoyle. I'd also try keeping it horizontal & aligning on Mullaghanish, to compare signals, & wherever it's pointing, avoid walls, anything metallic or containing water, & be aware there may be signal 'sweet spots' & 'dead spots', that vary with frequency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Yes , it's up in the attic, lying down horizontal.

I suppose I should go up and stand it up vertical ?

Boom stays horizontal, elements vertical...
    imgE.jpg

Raise aerial off the attic "floor" as it may be slightly blocking signal reception.

Apologies for digging up an oldish thread of my own but I have a problem with RTE 1 and all the stations on Channel 36 (Knockmoyle)

All was good up to a few weeks ago, my antenna was pointed vertically to Knockmoyle which I have LOS to and tuned to Channels 33 and 36.

But the the SNR on RTE 1 started to drop, down in the 20% range.

I though it might have had to do with the good weather we were having a nd the high pressure, but RTE2 and the other stations on Channel 33 were still working fine.

Now RTE1 and the others on 36 have have fallen over that threshold for the signal to even work

When I check the signal strength on the STB ( Optimuss OS3+) the SNR for Channel 36 is 0%

I don't have any neighbors to do a comparison with.

Am I missing something, has something changed ?

More than likely the problem is at your own end. I'd say it's still the case that the signal getting to your receiver was always borderline, & a small drop has made it unusable.

Rather than try to find a cause, it might just be easier to build in some margin, say by moving the aerial outside.

Thanks

I went up to the attic and adjusted the antenna location, pointed it more directly to Knockmoyle.

SNR is now up to 70+% on Channel 36.

Over the weekend I'll get the antenna off the floor of the attic and get it elevated on the joints.

Advertisement