Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung charge ports failing (USB C)

Options
  • 24-04-2021 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

I have had Samsung phones the last couple of years with USB type C charge ports. An S10 for two years from mid 2018 to mid 2020 and an S20 since mid 2020.

The S10's USB C charge port failed after about six months and I then had to replace it under warranty four times after this. Each time the port would work loose after 2 or 3 months and then the phone would give a "moisture detected" notification and refuse to charge. It was always replaced no questions asked under warranty.

I thought this could have just been a hardware fault related to my S10 but my S20 developed the exact same fault after a couple of months - I think only 3 months. Due to the lockdown etc I only got it repaired (again no questions asked under warranty) this week but I wouldn't be surprised give the history if this one failed after a few months too.

So what is it, could there be something i am doing which is damaging the charge ports - like not being careful enough putting it in and out - or is this a common fault with Samsung's or with phones that have a USB C charge port?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭Guffy

Have had this issue myself. Seems to come and go depending on what charger i use and if the phone is dead or turned on when i plug it in. If the phone powered off before i plugged it in I'd get a big orange warning light. If i booted it up and plugged it in before it died again it would charge grand. Only happened with some chargers though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,690 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Haven't had any issues with my more recent Samsungs (s9+, note 9, note 10+), but I stick with original cables or from the likes of Anker. Are you using cheap cables?

I would also suggest getting some wireless chargers. I have several around the house so really only physically plug a cable into it when I'm in the car

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

From various issues across brands, I'm coming to the conclusion that USB-C is nowhere near as sturdy as it was designed to be. Ports are not anchored properly (may be because that would need thicker phones) and the internal pins are easily misaligned

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

It's a common fault, in my experience

My S9 is also very fussy about USB cables, only AmazonBasics or original Samsung (not even Anker work).

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Are you using your phone while its charging?

• Advertisement
Advertisement