Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beyond help?

Options
  • 24-04-2021 8:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭

One plant in my hedge appears to be in trouble. I believe it should a Japanese Laurel. The whole plant is as the attached photos. Can anyone advise if it can be treated, or will it need replacing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Yes, Japanese spotted laurel, aucuba japonica - usually very hardy and tolerant. It doesn't like very wet soil and prefers some sort of shade but I've rarely had one die. I'd cut out the worst parts and hopefully it should recover itself. Don't feed or water it - a little bit of neglect might be all it needs. If the dieback and wilting continues you might have to consider replacing it in the autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

lottpaul wrote: »
    Yes, Japanese spotted laurel, aucuba japonica - usually very hardy and tolerant. It doesn't like very wet soil and prefers some sort of shade but I've rarely had one die. I'd cut out the worst parts and hopefully it should recover itself. Don't feed or water it - a little bit of neglect might be all it needs. If the dieback and wilting continues you might have to consider replacing it in the autumn.

Thank you for that. I’ll have a look at it in the next couple of evenings. It will leave a gaping hole in the front hedge if it goes completely. :(

Advertisement