Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

To sell or not to sell (scrap)?

• 23-04-2021 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭ portcrap

Have a great VW Golf 2.0 TDi Mk5 2006 that's served me well. Didnt drive it during lockdown and started it up last week with the dash lit up like Christmas. Took it in to my local mechanic who said it needs about €600 quid of repairs and that I should probably consider scrapping it as there's not many buyers for a 2l diesel. The scrappy offered €100.

Theres nothing wrong with the engine, a bit rattly and some spots of bodywork, otherwise not bad condition for 15-year-old car). The mechanical costs are because it needs some electrical and brake work.

anyway would love some advice....should I just scrap it and be done with it? If I fix it up and get a months insurance I could probably get some mileage from work out of it €500 or so... just no idea what to do with it. Any advice welcome

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators Posts: 81,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭ biko
    Arbiter

Better the devil you know...
    If the car is in good nick otherwise, fix it.

Get an insurance quote on it before doing anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭ User1998

Would there not be a load of unpaid tax owed on the car as well? I know you could do a couple of change of ownerships to get rid of it but its worth keeping in mind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭ Notch000

can you get a better car for 700 euro ? that's your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭ Buffman

Put it up on Donedeal/Adverts for a few 100 with a list of what's wrong and you might get a bit more than scrap value.

Advertisement