Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CPR Compliant cable issues?

Options
  • 23-04-2021 8:40am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A requriement of IS10101, the National Rules for Electrical Installations, is that cables shall at a minimum meet the requriements of Class Dca-s2, d2, a2.

Personally I think this is a good idea. Lessons should be learned from tragities such as the Grendfell Tower fire.

However, I have heard that some REC's have had real problems trying to strip domestic electrcal cables that meet this requriement. Can anyone shed any light on this or are there just a few isolated instances?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭meercat

2011 wrote: »
    A requriement of IS10101, the National Rules for Electrical Installations, is that cables shall at a minimum meet the requriements of Class Dca-s2, d2, a2.

Personally I think this is a good idea. Lessons should be learned from tragities such as the Grendfell Tower fire.

However, I have heard that some REC's have had real problems trying to strip domestic electrcal cables that meet this requriement. Can anyone shed any light on this or are there just a few isolated instances?

It is much harder to strip. I’ve found that by pulling the outer core of the 1.5 and 2.5 instead of the inner earth as I’d normally do works better. A Stanley knife to cut the end off. A sharp pliers is definitely required for the inner insulation whilst stripping to the conductor

On bigger t&e then a Stanley down the centre is required

I’d say a bit more practice would get the speed up.
    The bigger issue is that is not as flexible whilst pulling in through joists and is a pain to push 2 cables down a wavin

Bigger holes and less cables per hole

All new work priced since end February must be to new regulations

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

There is a class of cable stripper of which this is typical :

https://cpc.farnell.com/rotax/00600/rotax-29-rotary-stripping-tool/dp/TL01667

We used them to remove jacket on stuff like 50pr LSZH jacket comms cables. Would they be worth a try ?
    Could also look into what they use in U.S.A. where LSZH jacket has been the norm for decades.

Advertisement