Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Unusual registration of UK car

• 23-04-2021 1:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭ FLOOPER

Hi,

am looking at this Audi A4 from a private sale and I see documentation from the UK relating to the sale in 2016 but the Irish reg is 171.

Whats the reason for this.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭ brian_gall85

Uk system runs from September to March and April to August. They class a car bought in September 2016 as a 2017 vehicle in a lot of cases.

I can only assume this might be the reason it's on 2017 Irish plates.

That our it was bought in late 2016 and not registered until 2017 perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 72,782 ✭✭✭✭ colm_mcm

If it’s on a 66 plate then It could be either 162 or 171. The 66 plate runs from September 2016 to March 2017. The 17 plate then runs from March to September 2017.

There’s no way a 171 reg car could legitimately have a first registration date of 2016 though. The Irish reg goes on the first reg date rather than the ref prefix.

I’d keep looking, somethings not right there unless the car has sale paperwork from December 16 and first registration in 2017.

Advertisement