Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Personal Trainers

  • 22-04-2021 8:33pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 42 greysgut


    Hi

    I’m currently working from home and the waistline Is getting thick.
    Shaun Corcoran’s name is coming up a lot on social media but don’t know anyone who’s worked with him...
    I’ve also been thinking of holding out until gyms open again and join one...

    Can anyone recommend a personal trainer(online)/gym(when they can open again)?


«1

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 26,142 ✭✭✭✭ Wanderer78


    Don't beat yourself up too much, I think most have been growing a covid bump, including myself, Jesus it's horrible, it feels horrible. I've no experience with trainers, but there's plenty of fitness stuff online, including YouTube, that should get you going, watch the diet, as that's where its coming from, best of luck


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭ friendlyfun


    Harley Barnes is very good from what I've heard.


  • Registered Users Posts: 42 greysgut


    M
    Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Don't beat yourself up too much, I think most have been growing a covid bump, including myself, Jesus it's horrible, it feels horrible. I've no experience with trainers, but there's plenty of fitness stuff online, including YouTube, that should get you going, watch the diet, as that's where its coming from, best of luck

    Thank you!

    I’ve been half doing videos from YouTube on Facebook but when the children find me they want to do it too, which is great until one of them falls or they start arguing.

    I’m hoping too once restrictions lift there’s somewhere I can go to for a few hours a week.


  • Registered Users Posts: 26,142 ✭✭✭✭ Wanderer78


    greysgut wrote:
    I’m hoping too once restrictions lift there’s somewhere I can go to for a few hours a week.

    Don't get too hung up on gyms either, membership can become another stick to beat yourself with, if you find yourself not going after a while. some gyms have a pay as you go option, maybe try that for a while, and see if they are for you, it ll also give yourself time to think about joining.

    Another important thing with exercise is finding activities that actually interest and excite you, a common default is the gym, but it's also common for people to become bored with them quickly, many gyms run exercise classes though, and they might interest you

    I'm sure many parents have had enough of this covid craic now, I can't imagine how stressful it has been to deal with working from home, home schooling etc, on top of normal parenting stuff, so I guess now is a perfect time to consider all of these things


  • Registered Users Posts: 42 greysgut


    Thank you Wanderer78

    Hopefully an announcement next week will help and get us all out.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,142 ✭✭✭✭ Wanderer78


    greysgut wrote: »
    Thank you Wanderer78

    Hopefully an announcement next week will help and get us all out.

    ah dont wait for it, if you truly need it, i and others have been braking restrictions throughout covid largely for well being purposes, i certainly have no guilt or shame in doing so, its been well worth it, it hasnt been an easy year for anyone, particularly parents


  • Registered Users Posts: 42 greysgut


    Wanderer78 wrote: »
    ah dont wait for it, if you truly need it, i and others have been braking restrictions throughout covid largely for well being purposes, i certainly have no guilt or shame in doing so, its been well worth it, it hasnt been an easy year for anyone, particularly parents

    The butlers town road to tramore has seen a lot of my car the last few months.

    You need to break the rules, if even for the noggin!


  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭ Bhoy1967


    I agree with what Wanderer has to say with regards to gyms being another stick to beat yourself with. Maybe try a bit of running - run / walk / run - build up the distance gradually and you will enjoy it. Get into a running group once things get back to some sense of normality. Running is not only great for the body but great for the head!! It's what got me through the last 12 months anyway.

    Take care!!


  • Registered Users Posts: 26,142 ✭✭✭✭ Wanderer78


    Bhoy1967 wrote: »
    I agree with what Wanderer has to say with regards to gyms being another stick to beat yourself with. Maybe try a bit of running - run / walk / run - build up the distance gradually and you will enjoy it. Get into a running group once things get back to some sense of normality. Running is not only great for the body but great for the head!! It's what got me through the last 12 months anyway.

    Take care!!

    gyms can be helpful, but as explained before, there are certainly many different methods to gain fitness and to lose weight, gyms just seem to be a common default, certainly nothing wrong with what you re suggesting


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭ enniscorthy


    Bhoy1967 wrote: »
    I agree with what Wanderer has to say with regards to gyms being another stick to beat yourself with. Maybe try a bit of running - run / walk / run - build up the distance gradually and you will enjoy it. Get into a running group once things get back to some sense of normality. Running is not only great for the body but great for the head!! It's what got me through the last 12 months anyway.
    Take care!!




    hehe


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭ Wanderer2010


    Dont pick a personal trainer stupid enough to show pictures of themselves completely flouting the 5km travel rule the past few months. There are a fair few of them out there who study for a quick online course then claim they are nutritional experts and can help you in all aspects of food and exercise issues, when in reality they are just cutting their teeth.
    The same people posted pictures all over their social media on cliff walks, long cycles and hikes in areas that are clearly well beyond the 5km limit we were subject to for 4 months this year. Dont trust someone so willing to break the rules.


  • Registered Users Posts: 26,142 ✭✭✭✭ Wanderer78


    Dont pick a personal trainer stupid enough to show pictures of themselves completely flouting the 5km travel rule the past few months. There are a fair few of them out there who study for a quick online course then claim they are nutritional experts and can help you in all aspects of food and exercise issues, when in reality they are just cutting their teeth. The same people posted pictures all over their social media on cliff walks, long cycles and hikes in areas that are clearly well beyond the 5km limit we were subject to for 4 months this year. Dont trust someone so willing to break the rules.


    Completely agree, I'm definitely not a person to trust! Jesus people come up with all sorts of sh1te on the tinternets, all the folks I bumped into over the weekend must also be dodgy out, including the parents, grandparents, kids, the works


  • Registered Users Posts: 42 greysgut


    Dont pick a personal trainer stupid enough to show pictures of themselves completely flouting the 5km travel rule the past few months. There are a fair few of them out there who study for a quick online course then claim they are nutritional experts and can help you in all aspects of food and exercise issues, when in reality they are just cutting their teeth.
    The same people posted pictures all over their social media on cliff walks, long cycles and hikes in areas that are clearly well beyond the 5km limit we were subject to for 4 months this year. Dont trust someone so willing to break the rules.

    It sounds like you have a bee in your bonnet about a particular person, care to share so I can avoid 😂


    Thanks for your replies!
    I can’t run for gold, I’ve tried.
    I walk as much as I can, trying to beat the previous days steps. But I have no motivation most days.


  • Registered Users Posts: 26,142 ✭✭✭✭ Wanderer78


    greysgut wrote:
    Thanks for your replies! I can’t run for gold, I’ve tried. I walk as much as I can, trying to beat the previous days steps. But I have no motivation most days.

    A running isn't for everyone, try find activities that motivate and interest you, maybe change your environment, where you walk, there's nothing like a walk in the nature. I listen to a lot of podcasts while walking, maybe that's an option, or music of course


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,959 ✭✭✭ greenspurs


    Dont pick a personal trainer stupid enough to show pictures of themselves completely flouting the 5km travel rule the past few months. There are a fair few of them out there who study for a quick online course then claim they are nutritional experts and can help you in all aspects of food and exercise issues, when in reality they are just cutting their teeth.
    The same people posted pictures all over their social media on cliff walks, long cycles and hikes in areas that are clearly well beyond the 5km limit we were subject to for 4 months this year. Dont trust someone so willing to break the rules.

    :confused:

    What ?????

    Hate speech is just speech that you dont like



  • Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭ Wanderer2010


    greenspurs wrote: »
    :confused:

    What ?????

    What part of my post didnt you understand?


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭ Motivator


    What part of my post didnt you understand?

    The part where you didn’t refer to yourself as being a total loser.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭ Wanderer2010


    Motivator wrote: »
    The part where you didn’t refer to yourself as being a total loser.

    Hmm...hit a nerve did i? OP, the point of my post was to advise against picking a PT who breaks the 5km restricton rules the past few months. Im not going to name anyone but if you browse the internet and look at the people who proclaim to be great personal trainers, be wary of people who are hanging out of cliff walks or cycling up and down the country, sometimes hundreds of miles from their home, in direct contradiction of guidelines. I mean, if they dont give a fcuk about rules, why would they be even worth listening to?

    But there are plenty of decent PTs out there too with great knowledge and experience, i hope you find one.


  • Registered Users Posts: 26,142 ✭✭✭✭ Wanderer78


    Hmm...hit a nerve did i? OP, the point of my post was to advise against picking a PT who breaks the 5km restricton rules the past few months. Im not going to name anyone but if you browse the internet and look at the people who proclaim to be great personal trainers, be wary of people who are hanging out of cliff walks or cycling up and down the country, sometimes hundreds of miles from their home, in direct contradiction of guidelines. I mean, if they dont give a fcuk about rules, why would they be even worth listening to?

    Hahaha, that's fcuking mental! some of us have realised that actually breaking the rules is the only way of maintaining our wellbeing, we re grateful for such rules and restrictions, but its really okay to break these now and again, to do so. we re not sinners, or repels, or whatever, just maintaining our wellbeing, try not over think this, cause that's all it is


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ CardBordWindow


    I'd recommend Barry O'Connor from Barry's Fitness. He has a gym in behind Kelliher's in the Tramore Road Business Park.
    Also does an online program.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭ brio09


    greysgut wrote: »
    M

    I’ve been half doing videos from YouTube on Facebook but when the children find me they want to do it too, which is great until one of them falls or they start arguing.

    that's interesting to hear. i was hoping to build a home-gym with the hopes that it would inspire my kid to also try to be fit from a young age, but maybe if I have another kid, they might end up fighting ?
    what do they do to fall over? what do they argue about? (if it isn't too sensitive or private to share)


  • Registered Users Posts: 42 greysgut


    brio09 wrote: »
    that's interesting to hear. i was hoping to build a home-gym with the hopes that it would inspire my kid to also try to be fit from a young age, but maybe if I have another kid, they might end up fighting ?
    what do they do to fall over? what do they argue about? (if it isn't too sensitive or private to share)

    Awwww boards.... never fails to amaze me when someone finally nitpicks !!!

    By saying my children end up fighting/arguing, like some siblings do, I was trying to point out I can’t do this much longer, I need to be out of the house away from the chaos, trying to get fit and get headspace.

    Also My kids are out everyday on bikes or scooters and I’m just in the middle of getting dressed (if that’s not too sensitive to share!) to bring them to training which returned this week. Il be off walking while they are getting fit, from the young age they are.

    Happy Saturday Folks!


  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭ brio09


    greysgut wrote: »
    Awwww boards.... never fails to amaze me when someone finally nitpicks !!!

    By saying my children end up fighting/arguing, like some siblings do, I was trying to point out I can’t do this much longer, I need to be out of the house away from the chaos, trying to get fit and get headspace.

    Also My kids are out everyday on bikes or scooters and I’m just in the middle of getting dressed (if that’s not too sensitive to share!) to bring them to training which returned this week. Il be off walking while they are getting fit, from the young age they are.

    Happy Saturday Folks!

    ah, hahaha. i can now see why my comment became nitpicking and thank you for patiently clarifying!


  • Registered Users Posts: 42 greysgut


    brio09 wrote: »
    ah, hahaha. i can now see why my comment became nitpicking and thank you for patiently clarifying!

    ;-) anytime


  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭ kayevajo


    greysgut wrote: »
    Hi

    I’m currently working from home and the waistline Is getting thick.
    Shaun Corcoran’s name is coming up a lot on social media but don’t know anyone who’s worked with him...
    I’ve also been thinking of holding out until gyms open again and join one...

    Can anyone recommend a personal trainer(online)/gym(when they can open again)?

    dont waste your time or money on any of that , gym or personal trainer.
    ive lost 2.5 stone since xmas.

    its simple really , watch your diet, drink 2 litres of water a day , and walk. wont cost you a penny. i drink every weekend , so you dont have to give that up either. if u drink.

    if u need help motivating yourself to be healthy no one else can do it for u


  • Registered Users Posts: 26,142 ✭✭✭✭ Wanderer78


    kayevajo wrote: »
    dont waste your time or money on any of that , gym or personal trainer.
    ive lost 2.5 stone since xmas.

    its simple really , watch your diet, drink 2 litres of water a day , and walk. wont cost you a penny. i drink every weekend , so you dont have to give that up either. if u drink.

    if u need help motivating yourself to be healthy no one else can do it for u

    i disagree there, trainers can be great motivators, but as said previously, for some, sometimes, it just doesnt work, yes self motivation and drive can be great, but if you have low self drive or motivation, that ll be a problem, and it really isnt that simple at all. yes your advice is indeed good, but...... fair play to you on losing the weight, it really isnt any easy thing to do, and best of luck with it


  • Registered Users Posts: 42 greysgut


    kayevajo wrote: »
    dont waste your time

    or money on any of that , gym or personal trainer.
    ive lost 2.5 stone since xmas.

    its simple really , watch your diet, drink 2 litres of water a day , and walk. wont cost you a penny. i drink every weekend , so you dont have to give that up either. if u drink.

    if u need help motivating yourself to be healthy no one else can do it for u

    I understand where your coming from. But going to a personal trainer I feel I need that extra push. It’s my time, away from the house, work and kids.

    My husband runs 3 times a week and that is his time.

    I’m planning on messaging 2 now that they can train again from next month. It’s something to look forward to.

    Thanks for your replies everyone x


  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭ brio09


    not sure how relevant this is, but I've used coaches from https://www.fittr.com/ (They have a great app) and a few of my friends have used it too. i found it very helpful. the coaches are pretty good, but are virtual. also, since most of the coaches are in India, the costs in EUR is pretty good.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭ scout353


    I think a lot of the issues about fitness revolve around motivation - I am terrible at getting out there. I cannot run because of an injury but walking is fine.

    However, I have set my target of 10000 steps per day and am not worried if I don't hit it - I wish I was more motivated as I used to be a fairly high level athlete.

    If I do not have the other half with me where the chat whiles away the distance, I find a good podcast rather than music is great at distracting me.

    I would like to get back to a little swimming once the pools open but for now it's only the road!

    If you feel a personal trainer is the tool to motivate you, go for it. I'd agree about the instagram posters (everyone seems to be a personal trainer these days!) Do your research and pick one for a trial. If it doesn't work out change!

    The other option might be a walking group - all you need is a buddy!!!


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,142 ✭✭✭✭ Wanderer78


    scout353 wrote: »
    I think a lot of the issues about fitness revolve around motivation - I am terrible at getting out there. I cannot run because of an injury but walking is fine.

    However, I have set my target of 10000 steps per day and am not worried if I don't hit it - I wish I was more motivated as I used to be a fairly high level athlete.

    If I do not have the other half with me where the chat whiles away the distance, I find a good podcast rather than music is great at distracting me.

    I would like to get back to a little swimming once the pools open but for now it's only the road!

    If you feel a personal trainer is the tool to motivate you, go for it. I'd agree about the instagram posters (everyone seems to be a personal trainer these days!) Do your research and pick one for a trial. If it doesn't work out change!

    The other option might be a walking group - all you need is a buddy!!!

    i think we all struggle with motivation to some degree, modern life is extremely hectic, and now we have this stupid virus to contend with, just to make things harder. self compassion is important, we all like to kick ourselves when we can, that we should be doing this that and the other thing, but we should always reflect on how hectic our world is. you add in normal responsibilities such as kids, debts etc, thats a lot to dealing with, and at the end of a hard day, the last thing you wanna be doing is getting up exercising, but its critical, and we all know it, but..... be kind to yourself folks


Advertisement