Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spacing for lavender plants

Options
  • 22-04-2021 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

I have two flowerbeds on either side of steps to front door. I had them dug out last week - there were two enormous quince bushes, snow in summer, Alchemilla, eau-de-cologne mint and dandelion. I still need to fork through the beds and remove strays especially bits of mint.

My plan is to plant lavender in these beds so that it will form a hedge and presume once established that it will be fairly easy to care for.

Today I bought 14 lavender plants. I thought that would be enough - seven per bed spaced about two feet apart. They are Hidcote lavender. But plant label says height 30cm and spread 30cm. Seems very small. Online most sites say Hidcote lavender is one of more compact varieties, but puts height and spread at around 60cm.

Is it possible that the plants are mislabelled?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

Each bed is 13 feet long and 15 inches wide.

Plant label. Is it possible that spread 30cm means 30cm on each side for a total spread of 60cm?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

leck wrote: »
    Plant label. Is it possible that spread 30cm means 30cm on each side for a total spread of 60cm?

About a foot apart will work fine. I've mine even closer and they are happy out.

Sorry miss read your post. 2ft might be pushing it a little. They will fill but might not really fill (if that makes sense) the area

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

I planted mine a foot apart to form a Lavender hedge.

20210112_224836.jpg

lrushe wrote: »
    I planted mine a foot apart to form a Lavender hedge.

20210112_224836.jpg
    That is beautiful! How long since you planted it and what time of year did you take that photo?

Are they Hidcote?

• Advertisement

I got those plants in Aldi this morning. Went back and got a few more, the last of the healthy-looking Hidcote. There were a number there which looked like they were frost damaged and the rest were Folgate.

So I now have 21 new Hidcote plants. Have a Hidcote in a pot since last year and two more lavender plants that might be that variety or something else. Will put then at end of bed. So have a total of 24 plants, that will allows me to put 12 per bed, so close enough to one foot spacing.

Anything special I need to do with the flowerbed? Was thinking of throwing in a couple of bags of sand as I know they like good drainage? Lots of topsoil removed with the plants that were dug out, so will need to add some compost too, does the kind of compost matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

leck wrote: »
    That is beautiful! How long since you planted it and what time of year did you take that photo?

Are they Hidcote?

This will be its 3rd year, the picture would have been taken around June/July.
    Yes the are Hidcote.

Advertisement